Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Create custom AutoGen for FSEarthTiles scenery?

Hello all,I have tried out that little tool called FSEarthTiles to cover a rather small area with a photo texture. Now it seems this tool creates one big texture bitmap which somehow resample.exe manages to convert to some sort of giant BGL file. Now I am wondering if there is a way to put some custom AutoGen on the forest areas for example, without too much effort. Nothing too fancy, but if there is a simple way to do it, please do enlighten me. :) I'd greatly appreciate it.Thanks, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

Where do I get a copy of FSEarthTiles please. I have tried a search and can't find a link to the download of the program.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thank you very much. As usual the flightsim community is always a helpful lot of folks.cheersBryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thanks a lot Luis, that's one helpful piece of information, greatly appreciated. :) Keep up the good work.Still, I assume my problem is not exactly there. FSEarthTiles would download tiles from an online map service and create a large BMP out of that along with a text file that can be dragged and dropped into the resample tool (I have no idea what it does though, I'm just glad it seems to do its job). As an output there will be quite a large BGL file depending on the size of the area. Now it seems there is no more seperate texture (BMP) involved, it seems it is somehow compiled into the BGL. I understand I can only put AutoGen onto textures huh? I also tried to get the huge 'raw' BMP into the annotator, which it does not like. Not sure if it has something to do with resolution (the raw BMP is neither necessarily square nor of any specific resolution, just depends on the area) but taking e. g. an 1024x1024 excert did work. Still that does not help me very much, because in the end I still don't have a texture to put AutoGen onto that FlightSim actually uses. It just uses the BGL. Is that sort of understandable...?? I guess it is if you have used the FSEarthTiles app before. Sorry but I am no scenery designer and have no real idea how this all goes together.Any help is appreciated though. If you need more informations or have any questions let me know.Thanks, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

Hello Etienne,The method for making custom textures has changed. In previous versions of FS, Resample would create numerous small LOD 13 tiles and they would be placed in a Texture folder.Now, in FS X, for reasons of performance, all of the image is placed directly in the bgl - there are no longer any separate textures. In addition, this bgl contains the various MIPMaps so that the system does not have to calculate them.So, just load the bgl in the Autogen Annotator and you will see the image of your custom ground. Then, simply annotate and add buildings and vegetation.Make sure that the annotations do go in an associated Texture folder, because FS X will only read them if they are there, not in the Scenery folder with the bgl.Best regards.Luis

Now that it is that simple I would certainly not have thought.You made my day. Thanks! :)Etienne :-wave