Sign in to follow this  
Guest Martin

Dirt kicking scenery

Guest Martin

In many addon sceneries FS thinks that the taxiways and aprons (and sometimes even runways) are in fact a very bumpy and dry field, so the planes will kick up huge clouds of dirt during taxi, and if the suspension is sensitive they might even "crash".Is there any way to fix this?MartinIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

>In many addon sceneries FS thinks that the taxiways and >aprons (and sometimes even runways) are in fact a very bumpy >and dry field, so the planes will kick up huge clouds of >dirt during taxi, and if the suspension is sensitive they >might even "crash". >>Is there any way to fix this? >>Martin >>It's a lot like life and that's what's appealing Thats because the designer of the addon/replacement screwed up when creating the airport. Its done in a program called airport. The designer simply forgot to use a "flatten switch" when creating the airport. Resulting in a visual concrete but a ground/dirt surface. You have to email the designer. Or learn how to model airports in that program I mentioned.

Not just third party scenery designers.Some of the default microsoft airports suffer the same problem on taxiways.Steve.

Guest PhilC

Yeah, go to Clover KLVJ and taxi from the parking area to runway 14. You will run through some dirt concrete. If you look at the airport in AFCAD you will see that no taxiways were designed. Could this have anything to do with it or are the AFCAD files only the designators? This is the M$ default KLVJ.

On behalf of so called screwed up scenery designers, the harden areas are nothing to do with flatten switches. Early versions of airport did not incorporate an option of hardening ground areas for FS2002, this was overcome by adding a see through runway under the scenery areas being created thereby stopping the bounce problem, later and current versions of Airport have this problem solved, and some scenery desingers have offered an update or fix for the, Dust and Bounces, with their creations once they understood how to cure it. The same thing even shows up in some default FS2002 fields as Microsoft missed hardening some areas, Sydney International is an example of this in some areas.Check for a fix or update for the scenery you are having problems with.Cheers Greg ASFSC

Hmm, I hadn't encountered any defaults with dirt feel on concrete.I did not know about earlier versions of Airport. I just wrote what I was told buy other designers

Guest Martin

I've fiddled around with Airport 2.60 and I actually managed to get rid of the bumpiness on a taxiway. I decompiled the bgl into SCASM, opened it in Airport, and compiled it into a bgl again. So the bumpiness disappeared where I had changed it, but other problems appeared: The runway markings were doubled, it seemed like it was the original runway, and a "standard" runway from Airport. Also, the areas that I didn't edit became even more bumpy, to the point of crashing even the C172.Did these problems come from the transfer bgl->SCASM->bgl? Is there a simpler way to get rid of the bumpy taxiways? (The airport also has a grass runway, and I obviously want a little more rough ground there.)MartinIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

What changes are in 148 ?They are: This page displays an up-to-date listing of Build changes to Airport and any other important notices for users. May 11, 2002 Build 148 Posted Improvements in the file lists for packaging and distribution Error fixes on file autoload on startup Fix on subscript error 9 on surfacetype area Fix on range problem with 3D Objects

Check at the link above all explained there, Build 146 seems to be the one to correct the ground harden problem, 147 the fix for the auto gen etc.Greg

Guest PhilC

I know nothing about scenery design. Could someone with the right software 'harden' an airport and then make it available for download? If it possible, I'd sure love to have someone try and fix KLVJ. What kind of copyright issues are we taliking about?

Guest Martin

Hi Greg.Build 148 is what I have. I have solved the problem though: I added asphalt/concrete surface areas that covered all taxiways and aprons to the imported scenery. Then I deleted everything but the new surface areas, and compiled it into a new bgl, which I added to the scenery.MartinIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing