Sign in to follow this  
JimD737

Object Texturing in GMAX

Hi All.I've started texturing a terminal (KIAH) and I am having an issue and I think I have found the issue. It is a matter of scale when creating the UVW in the UNWRAP.Since the terminal is made up of 5 separate polygons, all 8meters in height, they vary in length and width. I want to use the same size windows on all of the textures on each polygon. When I create the UVW, I use the largest dimension to create a "cube". When I do that I use the largest dimension for each individual polygon.So, my scale is different for each UVW.My questions are:1. Should I use the largest dimension across all of the polygons to keep a consistent sized UVW?2. If I attach or weld the polygons together and then create the UVW, would this help in texturing all with the same size window?It is the sharing of information on this great website that pushes me further to try new things. I thank everyone who has helped me thus far.Regards,Jim

>1. Should I use the largest dimension across all of the>polygons to keep a consistent sized UVW?May as well try it. I think it will give you windows of the same size on all the polygons, but it may mess up some other part of the texture. What are you doing for the roofs? I prefer to use planar mapping to texture buildings...this gives you much greater control over how the texture is placed. (There's also a way to do the same thing by assigning a material ID to different parts of the building, but I could never quite understand that one.) One of my favorite "cheats" is to make the doors and windows as individual plane objects and then place them on the sides of the buildings.>2. If I attach or weld the polygons together and then create>the UVW, would this help in texturing all with the same size>window?I don't think so, but I've never tried it.

Hi Sidney,Thanks for the reply.What I did is re-create the grouped-objects into one line object with an extrude of a specifc height. This gets me halfway there, all of the windows will be the same size on one object, but not across multiple objects (Two "buildings" can't have the same windows).This has created extra steps and the results are OK but it's extra time I didn'twant to spend.Regards,Jim

Hi Jim,I'm afraid you'll just continue to waste your time if you stick with the approach you're using. There are different approaches to applying textures in Gmax, and they are not equally useful for all situations.If you like, you (or anyone else who wants them) can use this link to download a couple of tutorials that I've found very helpful. One is Microsoft's Gmax SDK, the other is a video by Bill Womath. http://download.yousendit.com/6F623EE540B690AASidney Schwartz KPDX