Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Problems with BGLXML?!

Guest jstevenson

I can't get BGLXML 1.8 to work with ANY of the BGLs in my FS9 folder, including ones that I just recently created using the FS2004 SDK BGLComp'er. Is there some basic "trick" I'm missing? The error message I keep getting is this one:BglXml version 1.7 / WIN32 - ©2003-2005 Alessandro G.AntoniniInput file: not a valid FS2004 facility data BGL!This is from the v1.8 download install.

Had to re-download it, but tried it both through the GUI shell and command prompt and it opened a stock FS2004 file and generated the XML for it.

Guest jstevenson

Could it be the version of BGLComp I'm using? I *think* it's from the FS2004 SDK but if it wasn't (i.e. was just a bit earlier, say from FS2002) could that cause this problem?I'm checking right now....nope - it looks like the legit GBLComp from FS2004 SDK all right. The basic problem still seems to be that anything that I've made using GMAX, then BGLComp can't be de-compiled. Ditto with any recent FS2004 scenery downloads off AVSIM, which I presume would have used similar tools?

There was/is a different decompiler for FS2004 by Winfried Orthmann, updated around January of this year. Check the file forum and see if that works, file name BGLAnalyze.

No two or three decompilers are identicalYou must know what it is you want to explore and then use the correct decompiler to explore that part of the BGL you are interested in.Example If I want to know about Markers I need to know which decompiler will get that out and I am not talking about the ones that some utility copied into a AFD. If I want a correct full leg listing of Approach code or taxiway signs don't use BGLX180. If I want to see certain types sceneryLibrary types I have to know which one understands that. In FACT sometimes it takes more then one decompiler to get a better XML and yet it will still not be complete. Complete first means is the bgl you are trying to decompile valid with the use of the BGLComplier schema.There are utilities out there right now working with FSX that do not use any standard schema to validate against so any decompiler that you try and use will not understand what it is that is in the bgl to begin with. BGLX180 is not a designer explorer compiler and only extracts default BGL code and leaves a lot behind that you will not see. It also cannot understand certain bgl's that have backward compatible code or non-standard FS9/FSX non-compliant SDK code embedded.The decompiler Utilities such as the Bglanayalze, NewBGLanayalze and bglanalyzeX is more of a decompiler to learn how FS places certain code into a compiled bgl. It DOES NOT decompile all the records that are embedded in the source bgl but will tell you in documents the things about Byte size and placement and it does not always display in the XML format.There is 3rd decompiler that captures out more records that are tailored for the user then all other decompilers and that is the TestApp (GUI) version 0.81 (plus update from a menu) based on the SDE CLIENT APPLICATIONS Engine.That one also has limitations but is being updated on a regular bases when issues are found.There are various support forums for the SDE freeware products, a link to all SDE Client App availablility including the new ADE Airport Facilty Home Version and team beta members that are the most knowledgeable in the workings of FS9/FSX due to their years of past commitment to the AFCAD designer Lee Swordy. For the decompiler only, look for SDE in the top menu. http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/In some cases it takes all 3 types of decompilers to get what you really want but it is getting better as one decompiler pushes toward extracting everything within reason. Winfried's knowledge of writting decompiler code is also what the SDE App utilities work with even though Winfried's decompiler may not show everything.