Sign in to follow this  
ricktk

Paul Mainville's KDTW scenery

Guest contrail

The new terminal used by Northwest's regional carriers and others was expanded since Paul created this excellent scenery. I'd like to add the expanded terminal building, tarmac, etc. What's the best way of going about doing this?thanks

I agree it is a nice scenery. My thought is to understand the architecture of the scenery first. I like to use LWMViewer2, which will load any FS9 format terrain and scenery object files. You will probably find some files aren't loaded. These probably use earlier scenery development methods. Sometimes you can use bglanalyze and/or Airport for Windows to figure out what these do.Once you figure out how the scenery was designed, you can figure out how best to modify it. Often if the scenery is using the older methods, you need to use the same methods to modify it. Some times you can exclude a part of the scenery, and design your own, but this probably works better with FS9-style scenery. I think maybe this is the order of stuff to look at:Terrain changes (LWM, VTP, mesh, landclass)Scenery objects designed to lie flat on terrainAirport ground scenery built from pre-FS9 methodsAirport ground scenery built from FS9 methods (AFCAD)3d objects placed on the groundAirport "invisible" plumbing (AFCAD)scott s..

Guest contrail

Thank you for the information Scott. Took your advice with LWMviewer, but appears that older scenery tools were used as I get an error when trying to open up the bgl. Perhaps I'll try my luck with SceneGenX,Airport 2.6, or something similar to just create a building on either side of the existing terminal(if thats possible).Happy Holidays

If all you want is to place a scenery object, that is very easy. I would recommend SGX if you want to use the generic building method of the FS9 BGLCOMP SDK, or there are several object placement tools if you have a pre-compiled model (either a default library file or one from a 3rd party addon library) that you want to place. When it gets more hairy is if you need to exclude some of the exisitng scenery, or change aprons and taxiways. scott s..