Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Exclude Switches?

I'm trying to make a FS9 scenery compatible with FSX. It's all ready to go except for a few spots where there is autogen crossing the runway, and if you're down low the default runway "bleeds through" the addon one. I havn't done anything related to scenery design in YEARS but would a simple flatten / exclude command be able to cure this? For example, I remember you need to find the co-ordinates of the 4 corners basically of the area you want to exclude, and put them into the Scenery.cfg file. I forget exactly how to do that, or even if FSX still works in that way, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Scenery.cfg exclude still exists:------------------------------------Flight Simulator provides the exclude property to exclude the default scenery, objects and/or navigational aids, in a given four-sided area from being displayed, or transmitted in the case of radio navigational aids. The exclude property affects only scenery areas with a lower layer number than the scenery area the property is added to. For example, if the property is placed in layer 70, then only layers 69 and below will be affected.The exclude property has the following syntax (the north, west, south, east ordering must be adhered to):exclude=North Latitude,West Longitude, South Latitude, East Longitude, category listExclusion happens only in the specified rectangular area:The latitude and longitude entries must be in the form of degrees or degrees and minutes. You do not need to add the * or ' symbols to indicate degrees and minutes. The category determines which default scenery type you choose to exclude in the defined area. There are four categories: 1. objects Excludes all default 3-dimensional buildings and objects as well as airports. 2. vors Excludes all default VOR and ILS navigational aids 3. ndbs Excludes all default NDB navigational aids. 4. all Excludes all default objects and navigational aidsYou can include more than one category. The maximum size of an exclude area is 90 degrees of longitude and 45 degrees of latitude.The following example excludes all scenery types except NDB navigational aids from a rectangular area 30 minutes of longitude by 30 minutes of latitude: * exclude=N45 30,W120,N45,W119 30,objects,vorsAll latitude and longitude references use the WGS84 geoid.------------That being said, I'm not 100% sure scenery.cfg exclusion gets rid of autogen. There is another method using vector terrain (requires the deluxe FSX and the SDK to access the utility shp2vec.exe) which seems to be preferred. But try the scenery.cfg method and let me know how it works out, if possible.scott s..

Guest jlwoodward

I just starting building a Lake Hood scenery and can't get the exclude to work. There is a large building on the Lake Hood Strip that I want to get rid of. The last line below is the one I added to the cfg file:[Area.115]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryLayer=115Active=TRUERequired=FALSEExclude=61 11.02, 149 57.91, 61 10.96, 149 57.85, allI can't see a problem with it but it doesn't work. I don't think this is an autogen building. In the meantime I will read up on the utility mentioned.

Ya I made an exclude switch for the scenery I originally posted for, and the runway still "flickers" alot. Seems I got rid of the buildings that were in the way though.

In FSX, "flattened" airports still abide by the round-earth model, which can cause flickering with ground polygons made with BGLC methods or GMAX with the FS2k2 gamepack. Since sp1, it has been stated that the largest ground poly that lies flat is about 100m x 100m.scott s..

>Exclude=61 11.02, 149 57.91, 61 10.96, 149 57.85, all>>I can't see a problem with it but it doesn't work. I don't>think this is an autogen building. In the meantime I will read>up on the utility mentioned.>>I imagine that without N,S,E,W parameters, that the "149" is interpreted as East longitude. Try this:Exclude=N61 11.02, W149 57.91, N61 10.96, W149 57.85, allscott s..

Guest jlwoodward

Hi Scott,How dumb of me, I just noticed that.But here is what is really weird. There is not 1, but 4 copies of scenery.cfg used with FSX and Vista. One is in the FSX root directory where expected, but the others are buried in other directories and sub directories that must have been created by Vista. They are really hard to find, as the Vista search function (for me anyway) is harder to use than the XP one. You have to tell it where to look and not just let it run.Anyway, once the line was added to all 4 files, the exclude worked, even with the mis-typed line. Bizarre.

Guest jlwoodward

I may have spoken too soon. I just added excludes to two other airports using the same method, and now they don't work. I tried different size boxes and typed the lines with and without the N and W.The original exclude at Lake Hood is still working though. I guess I will have to walk away from this for a couple of days.

Well the airport I`m trying to fix has a 12,000 foot main runway, so that`s definitly outside the 100m rule lol. What ways are there around this texture problem I wonder. I was able to get the flatten switch to work, and if I can just cure the flicker I`d be in business.

Guest jlwoodward

Moving the second exclude to the next layer down (from add on scenery to propeller objects) made it work. I seems like you can have only one exclude per layer. I don't recall it ever being like this before.

1. I think the scenery.cfg methods did get some work over in FSX. Forexample, the 10 possible flatten rectangles are no longer available according to the sdk (didn't test to confirm).2. scenery.cfg files. I'm not sure about vista (had fsx demo loaded in vista beta and rc but since dumped it all). In xp, the scenery.cfg that "works" for me is in the "all users" appdata for flight sim x. IT may be related to how fsx is installed (can't recall now, but most msi installer apps have an option to install "just for me" or "for everyone". I always install "for everyone" and it makes sense that scenery.cfg would be in the all users appdata area. scott s..