Sign in to follow this  
Guest joe1994

Gmax Help Needed

Guest joe1994

I have three quick questions abiut Gmax since I recently installed it. I have gotten through the initial shock of all the buttons and no how to use the program fairly well. I just want to know how I...1) Slope objects, and2) Texture objects. Can I do this staright from Gmax or do I have to do it with a separate program? Finally, does anyone3) know of any programs that I can use to make it a .mdl file and make it a Library Object?Thanks so much, I just feel so stupid asking these questions!

Hi,>1) Slope objectsWhat do you mean with slope objects? Do you want to make a sloped roof on a building or are you talking about sloped terrain? Can you clarify a bit more what you mean.>2) Texture objects. Can I do this staright from Gmax or do I>have to do it with a separate program?You will have to make the texture files themself in some sort of painting program. Like Paintshop Pro, PhotoShop or GIMP. But once you have made the texture file itself, you can map (position) the texturet on your object in GMax.Any basic tutorial should explain how to do that. For example check the house tutorial that comes with the FS2004 gamepack.>3) know of any programs that I can use to make it a .mdl file>and make it a Library Object?To export your objects you need to install the FS gamepack. I don't know which version you are using, for FS2004 you can download the gamepack. For FSX you need to have the Deluxe version that includes the SDK.To make it a library object you need to use BGLComp and some XML file, see the SDK for details. Or if you want a nice GUI, try the LibraryCreatorXML tool I made. It is available from the www.fsdeveloper.com site.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest joe1994

When I say "slope objects" I mean slope a building or some other object, not terrain. Anyway, thanks for the help!:)

I strongly recommend that you go through the tutorial lessons that come with Gmax, at the least the ones that deal with making various kinds of objects and modifying their shapes. Basically, you convert a new shape into an editable mesh or poly, then manipulate the objects edges, surfaces and vertices to modify it.Sidney Schwartz KPDX

Guest joe1994

Oh, that makes sense now. Thanks alot for the help. I had gone through the first tutorial and didn't find anything so I just kind of gave up too early.