Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

FSX default scenery

Guest trknman

Gentle folks...I probably already know the answer to this question, but here goes anyway. I have moved/altered the terminal area for my favorite airport, and now the terminal building is completely misaligned. Is there any way to move, turn, or otherwise realign default buildings? I eagerly await your replies!

Well it depends on what form they are. But assume they are scenery objects then first find out what the GUID for them is. Second use exclusion rectangles to remove the default ones and then use a scenery object placer to place the same object at whatever angle and position you wish. Make sure that the new object placement is called after the excludes otherwise the new ones will be lost as well as the originals

Guest trknman

Jon...thanx for the quick answer. Unfortunately there are those of us who are still struggling with scenery design. I know which section of the FSX scenery file the airport is in (0302). I also know which bgl contains the airport data. I don't, however, know where the scenery object files are and I don't know how to find the correct GUID. It is probably something simple, but I am at my wit's end. Any and all help and/or assistance will be most gratefully accepted.Jim

Hello Jim,Unless it is one of the few detailed airports with custom buildings, your terminal and hangars are probably generic buildings and library objects. A screenshot would help in determining this.If this is so, then you do not need to find a GUID for them.Just exclude using the normal procedure. You can use SBuilderX for that - just draw an exclusion rectangle and select to exclude generic buildings and library objects.To re-position the buildings, you could probably use Jon's BGL2XML utility that will take apart the correct bgl, then use the code that is there but with the correct coordinates and orientation.If you provide some more detail, it would be easier to help.Best regards.Luis

Guest trknman

Jon and Luis...I appreciate your efforts to help. I didn't mean to be so vague. The airport in question is KPNS, Pensacola Regnl. The airport file itself is in FSXscenery0302apx24210. That's where my limited knowledge ends. I have no idea where the information for the scenery objects is stored. Excluding it (as default) is not a problem, finding where it is stored and isolating it are, at the moment, beyond my ken. I have enclosed two pics, one is of the terminal building, and the other is of the parking apron after I re-aligned it. If I am still unclear, or sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, please let me know.ThanksJim

You might look at a tool like Whisplacer, available here;http://lc0277.nerim.net/wiki/It will allow you to open the default files, find your buildings and make a new file with them repositioned. Your buildings "should" be in the correspnding OBX24210.BGL file.Note, Whisplacer requires the SDKs from the Deluxe version to work and you need to read the instructions to gain the "feel" of the program. But once you've tinkered with it a bit you can figure out what needs to be done.Current install of Java is necessary and it does have the ability to give live preview from within FSX. And it's free, thanks to LC!

Hopefully ADE pro will offer some tool such as this -- like SGX does for FS9 (SGX will search all the scenery files within a radius of the airport ARP and pull in all scenery objects). This includes the AP, OB, and NV files. You can also pull in the custom landmark scenery files, but it takes a little more work. That's good for FS9, but we still need that in FSX. An alternative, which also would be really nice, is an FSX version of Jim Keir's LWMViewer.scott s..

Guest trknman

Well folks, I must again beg your kind indulgence. I tried Whisplacer and wonder of wonders I found my terminal. Turns out it is a special building, but I managed to move it and orient it almost where I wanted it. Then I managed to lose it!!! While trying to put an exclusion on another building close by, I must have excluded my terminal. Now the burning question of the evening is...how do you remove an exclude in Whisplacer? Please don't tell me I can't do it, because although it is not the greatest looking building, it is still considerably better than I can do.ThanksJim

>Hopefully ADE pro will offer some tool such as this -- like>SGX does for FS9 (SGX will search all the scenery files within>a radius of the airport ARP and pull in all scenery objects). >This includes the AP, OB, and NV files. You can also pull in>the custom landmark scenery files, but it takes a little more>work. That's good for FS9, but we still need that in FSX. An>alternative, which also would be really nice, is an FSX>version of Jim Keir's LWMViewer.>>scott s.>.>This is already in place in one of the development versions :-)

How did you add your exclude? The order in which things get read is critical.It the exclusion rectangle is in the same bgl file as the new object placement then it must be in the file BEFORE the new placement. If it is in a separate file then that file must be read by FSX before the one containing the new object placement. The easiest way to do that is to make sure the name of the bgl file containing the exclude is alphabetically before the name of the one containing the object placement.

Guest trknman

Howdy folks...Sorry to have taken so long to answer all of your kind replies, but my wife has been in the hospital and I haven't been thinkin' straight. I got my terminal back and straightened it out. It is now where it should be. I have one more question though. I am trying to design a terminal that looks like the one that is supposed to be there. So far I have the basic shape about right, but I don't know how to apply "night textures" to it. I know how to apply the daytime textures, but don't have any idea how to apply the ****_lm.bgl textures. As usual, thanx in advance for any and all help.Jim