Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Exclude Navaids?

Do I have to use scenery.cfg editing to exclude NDBs or is there a way to do it with bglcomp?I am updating an airport but need to delete several navaids that have been taken out of commission by the FAA (many more are going).Second question along the same lines, how do I exclude marker beacons associated with an approach?Thanks - almost forgot.. I'm using FSX w/SDK & latest updates. Also playing with AFX but I haven't played with this stuff in the past 10+ years.

Dan Downs KCRP

You cannot exclude stock navaids. That includes NDBs, VORs, ILS and Markers. Your only option is to move them somewhere out of the way and possibly change their frequency. Some airport designers will move unwanted stock ILS to either the North or South polar regions.

I think the scenery.cfg exclude will get rid of the visual object but not the non-visual (map, gps, radionav)?scott s..

ScottYou are correct - the visual object associated with a navaid is a library object so should be removable with an exclusion rectangle. However the navaid will continue to exist and appear on maps, receivers etc

>Scott>>You are correct - the visual object associated with a navaid>is a library object so should be removable with an exclusion>rectangle. However the navaid will continue to exist and>appear on maps, receivers etc> Jon, Does FSX handle Navids differently than FS9? The reason I ask is that a long time back, in FS(, I got annoyed at having the ILS show on the GPS for the default carrier off San Francisco. First, the carrier points in the wrong direction for the pervailing winds here and second, the ILS was shown 90 degrees displaced from the flight deck. I removed the default carrier. How, I don't remember. Perhaps an exclude. The ILS remained. I then did some research and fould the file in FS9 that contained the ILS data. As I recall, it was in plain text or I got it to that format some how. Anyhow, I was able to delete the offending ILS and then went merrily on my way adding my own static carriers with NDB and ILS Navaids. I'm wondering if that type of operation is possible in FSX. Just curious as I haven't found any Navaids I want to remove....yet :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

PaulAs far as I know nothing has changed between FS9 and FSX in relation to stock navaids. I am not sure how you managed to get rid of one but there is no mechanism (other than modifying a stock bgl file) to exclude or remove a stock navaid. This affects ILS if they are stock. You can delete both the glide slope and dme (if present) but not the localizer which is the base for the ILS. You can move them and change things like freqency but not get rid of them from the default navaid list. This does seem to be a short-coming!

>>As I recall, it was in>plain text or I got it to that format some how.>Decompiling the stock AP9 or APX will expose the Localizer in txt or XML format. At that point you can delete the localizer but it would not be a bgl file you would want to share with anyone.There is a difference in the way FS9 and FSX is handling the Localizer.In FS9 we could move the Localizer to a out of the way place and set the freq to 000.00 and the compiler would except it.In FSX you cannot move the Localizer very far from the runway. My testing shows about 30NM's is all the Localizer will move before it returns back to the runway it is assigned to during a compile. This was with SP1a BGLComp compiler so I need to recheck the 2 SP2 compilers now available.

I ran into the same problem with the LOM at KSEA that is decommissioned. I can get rid of the eye candy but the NDB/Marker isn't going very far.. I've got the SP2 bglcomp. Too bad, the FAA is planning to retire about 400+ NDBs (thanks to RNAV(GPS) approaches).

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the feedback, Jon and Jim.I believe I used the decompilation method in FS9 to get rid ofthe default SF carrier ILS. This was for my own "use" and nota "to share" modification. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

In FS2k2 the ILS and other radio navs were in their own files, which could be modified using EasyNavs2k. The AFCAD1 AFD files had the data that the map used. In FS9 the AFD and ils files were combined, and further the ILS tied to specific runway ends (except for certain ones in the default AP files).scott s..