Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Oklahoma Scenery Project

Guest Daniel_Malloy

I've recently started learning how to create scenery for Flight Simulator X. I've started by working on small projects in Oklahoma like adding the Blue Ridge Wind Farm (the largest wind generator farm in Oklahoma; located North West of Lawton), fixing the landclass for cities, and enhancing some of the more prominent airports.What I'm wanting to do is create enough of these scenery files and include them all in one release. I've already created a few, but since I'm new to this I don't know if I'll be able to tackle some of the larger airports like Will Rogers World (Oklahoma City) or Tulsa International.I'm looking to see if anyone wants to help out with this project by creating Oklahoma scenery (whether it be landclass/waterclass, custom objects, altering airports, ect). I haven't come up with all the details, but I thought I should post this here to see what more experienced people think of this idea and what people think needs to be changed/altered while I do that. Here is what I've come up with so far:This is Lawton Ft. Sill Regional in Lawton, Oklahoma. Population of 92,757 (estimated in 2000, not counting the Army 12,000 army personel living on Fort Sill). Its a decent-sized airport. The military likes to do touch-and-goes here. About 42 planes are based here with an average of 101 aircraft operations a day. It seems like FSX only got the runway placement correct here.http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAWhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183123.jpgThis is Henry Post Army Air Base at Fort Sill, Oklahoma (5 miles north of Lawton Ft. Sill Regional). This was the first home of Army Aviation (there is even a balloon hangar here still). The Fort Sill Army Radar Approach Control was the Army's Second busiest Air Traffic Control Facility, providing Radar Approach Control service to Henry Post Army Air Field, Lawton/Fort Sill Regional Airport, Duncan/Haliburton Airport and many smaller airports in the area. To the best of my knowledge, this was to be shut down in 2004 when the Air Force installs/installed a new digital radar in the Lawton-Fort Sill area and a new advanced approach control automation system at Sheppard Air Force Base. As I am not a real-life pilot, I don't know if this ever took place. They still use the base for touch-and-goes almost every day and there seems to be a lot more helicopter traffic than there was a few years ago. Its not uncommon now to see formations of Blackhawks over the Fort SIll training areas. There is also the Blue Ridge Wind Farm about 15 miles North West of Fort Sill).http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFSIhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183124.jpgThis Is Will Rogers World in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. About 53 planes are based here with an average of about 297 aircraft operations a day. It has 2 9800x150 ft. concrete runways, 1 7800x150 ft. runway, and 1 3078x75 ft. runway (there is 1 closed runway I didn't list). It also is the headquarters for the 'Air Route Traffic Control' and Training Academy and the Oklahoma Air National Guard uses it along with Wiley Post (FAA designed reliever facility).http://www.airnav.com/airport/KOKChttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183125.jpgI'm new to all of this, so please feel free to ask questions and comment on anything (positive and negative). I'm using SbuilderX for most of the work. I use FSX Planner to re-adjust the airports correctly (I use SbuilerX to get the background image along with the Lat and Lon to place them correctly). I also use the FSX Mission Creator and the SDK to create most of the objects and buildings.Also, does anyone know if anyone has come up with a way to make the default wind generators rotate with the wind while keeping the lights? I've searched the forums, but I haven't come across a fix yet (I used Sbuiler X to place them).

You have done a great job so far, Daniel. It all looks wonderful. Good luck finding somebody to take part in the project with you.The wind turbines are not animated, and there is no way to get them to rotate. They were animated in FS 9, but the developers forgot to include the animation when they ported the models for FS X. Too bad. Probably the only solution is to either find another model somewhere (there might be some in the library?) or to make them yourself with GMax. It is really not very hard once the basic concepts are understood, and there are a lot of tutorials and help available.Best regards.Luis

Guest Daniel_Malloy

I've decided to upload the files I've created so far as a kind of introduction to this project. I'm looking for some people willing to test it and tell me what they think. If you'd like to test it out, just e-mail me and I'll send it to you.In the future, I'm hoping to be able to add a lot of new roads and rivers/streams and overhaul the landclass data (it seems like there should be a whole lot more farmland than there is now and most of the cities are out of proportion or non-existent for the smaller towns) along with fixing as many airports as possible and maybe get them to blend in to the environment better. That's not all I'm hoping this project will have, but we have to start somewhere. If you would like to help with this project, again, just e-mail me. Who knows, maybe we can start some other scenery projects for some other States if enough people are willing.Aaronjaster_mereel_@hotmail.com