Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

How to Remove FSX Default Airports

Hello Fellow Simmers,I've been using TileProxy and would like to remove some of the airports that are displayed in FSX.I just want to see the photoreal airport not the default airport overlayed over the photoreal one.See attached picture.Does anyone have an idea on how this can be done?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Edhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183526.jpg

If you have the SDK it's easy with the airport delete element in the bgl compiler.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,Thanks for that information.I will take a look at the SDK and see if I can figure it out.Is there both an remove and add function. Say you want to add a deleted airport back?Ed

The delete airport method doesn't change default scenery files, it turns off the airport but leaves it in the original data. If you want the airport back, just remove the bgl file that keeps it hidden.The delete airport function is one of the easier methods to learn, the example in the SDK is a good go-by, and once you learn how to compile a bgl you are on your way to bigger and better things.

Dan Downs KCRP

Also be aware that hiding the visible airport will not remove certain things from FSX. The airport will still appear in the airport list and certain elements like navigational aids will remain as there is no way to delete or hide them in FS. Be aware that removing everything would result in the airport being useless for flying and AI traffic etc will no longer work.Also using the airportDelete available for BglComp will not remove the airport polygon - the flat grass area that represents the airport footprint. It may be that photo scenery will suppress these but if it does not then you would need to use Shp2Vec to remove it rather than BglcompUsing the basic Airport Delete can leave you with a range of problems. For more control you might want to look at some of the tools designed to work with airports: AFX, FSX Planner, Airport Design Editor and SceneGenX should also help you do the job.

this is what I do.I use the demo version of AFX. Start AFX and enter the airport id you want to get rid off. It would list the bgls for this airport. FSX defaul would be on the bottom and if you had installed any addons that came with its own version of this airport, it would list that as well. Dbl click on each and do save as (but don't save it) and you would see the directory and file name. Not them down.Then rename those BGLs as BAK.Thats it. The airport is gone. Mind yiu.everything about that airport is gone, not just the textures.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

And all the other airports in the same bgl file. Bear in mind that some APX files can have dozens of airports. Take the bgl file out of the sim in any way and they are all gone.

multiple AFCAD files are combined into 1 BGL?

Manny

>multiple AFCAD files are combined into 1 BGL?Certainly. In some default bgl files there can be 30 or more airports plus navigational information about navaids at airports and also scenery placement for objects on and around the airport. Remove a default AP bgl file and you can wipe out all the airports in large area of countryside. Default Bgl files are georgaphically based.Even some 'AFCAD' files produced as addons can have more than one airport in them.

Thats good to know Jon thanks.So, if deleting a BGL is not an option, I think the way may be to use something like AFX and make the width of the runway/taxiway real narrow. This was a suggestion I had from the AFX forum. But I have not tried this though.Manny

Manny

You can remove most of the evidence that an airport exists by using a tool like AFX (or FSX Planner or Airport Design Editor) to remove the physical parts of an airport and some hidden parts like approach code. What you will not get rid of is the airport ID, name and so on from the airport list in the airport selector, nor will you be able to get rid of navaids associated with the airport like localizers and markers. Not very satisfactory but that is the way it is.