Sign in to follow this  
Manny

How do I restrict objects in BGL to a certain radius?

OK.. here is the issue. I am using Instant scenery to build sceneries and place objects.When I fly into an area with a scenery that was developed using Instant Scenery, the FPS obviously drops. but then when I leave that area, I cannot reclaim that FPS.It looks like, the BGLs are effective even when you are not in the vicinity of these objects.How do I limit these scenery objects within a finite Radius?andHow do I reclaim the memory used by these objects once I leave the vicinity? For some reason, these objects are visible from very far. Thats why I can easily run out of Video memory.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

There's a response to your inquiry over at FSDeveloper, but I'll answer a bit here. You can't control the construction of the object, whether it had multiple LODs or not. So if it has one LOD it's going to get fully displayed, in all it's glory. What you can control and must consider in your design efforts is the scenery complexity setting. If all objects get set to display at NORMAL, then they will be shown for a larger radius. That's why we have the ability to tailor scenery to hardware, some what, by manipulating the complexity setting.You're working around O'ahu, which in the non-photo world is a very busy and detailed area. If and I don't know this, but if you're placing everything at NORMAL then things are going to slow down, really fast. It's all within the visual range of a plane for the most part and FSX in it's display priorities is going to show objects and autogen before crisp, clean textures.

Thanks Meshman.k..I understand. BTW..I am using all default FSX objects.And yeah..I do use complexity settings. and I thought maybe there was something that I was missing. And yes, its around O'ahu and its a small area so all of them could come into play.But are you saying that if I set an object as highly complex, that it would have a low LOD? But if the user had his settings all the way to the right...would it still have a lower LOD?MannyOn further analysis.. this is what I found.I have waterfalls.. in the Island of O'ahu. This has the most FPS hit.however, If I don't fly into that area..I am doing fine at say..15FPS when I am at Point A.Now, I fly into the waterfall scenery..and the FPS drops to 8FPS. Now I leave this area and fly around and go back to Point A. I was expecting my 15FPS at this location. However, Its now stuck at 8FPS.So I am thinking..its taking the least common denominator. Once my FPS drops to a certain level... It stays at that low level.Manny

Manny

Only guessing here but I would assume there is some sort of hysteresis (i.e. different thresholds) when flying to or from an object that defines when to load or unload an object. Otherwise if you flew along a circle at the threshold distance the object could potentially pop in and out a number of times. So maybe you'll have to fly away a bit further for the object to be dropped. Is that waterfall an effect type of thing ? If yes, are there no parameters in the effects that define visibility ranges etc. ? (Sorry, I have no idea on how effects are coded).Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Hi Siggy.. no the waterfall is not an effect. Its an autogen object like anything elseManny

Manny