Sign in to follow this  

Aviation Quiz

SHORT ANSWER1)What is a SID?2)What is a STAR?3)What is an Airway?4)What is ZULU time?5)(SEE FIGURE 1) What is the name of the RED line?6)FILL IN THE BLANKSIf an airport has low visiblity or VFR is not possible, the pilot then uses a(n)___________________. If a Twin Otter pilot is trying to land on a small airport without a FBO, he is trying to land at a(n) _______________ airport. 7)MULTIPLE CHOICEWhat is the radio station one must tune into before flying VFR in the US or Canada? a)UNICOM b)FSS c)MULTICOM d)CLEARANCE DELIVERYName the PHYSICS PRINCIPLE that explains lift a)Bernoulli's Principle b)Archimides Principle c)Theory of Relativity d)Theory of GravityIf an Boeing 747 is trying to land at TLPL, which has no ILS, what type of flying conditions is it under? a)IFR b)VFR c)Approach d)FinalSHORT ANSWER CONT.9)What is the engine manufacturer of the DEHAVILLAND DHC8 engine? Name one AVIONICS manufacturer.10)CRITICAL THINKING/PROBLEM SOLVINGA Twin otter pilot is taking off from George Charles airport(TLPC), he is flying about 3/4 full. What degree must his flaps be set? A Boeing 727 pilot is landing at San Juan International(TJSJ) coming from Newark International(KEWR), he was crusing at FL330, with a full load, what must be his landing speed and what is his TOD(Top of Descent).Good Luck!**********----------------------**********----------------------**********----------------------**********----------------------**********--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the picture I forgot to upload....

Some of your questions are a bit misleading...sorry to nitpick, its what I do best :). Are you from the states? With a name like newyorkflyer, I assume you are :)."6)FILL IN THE BLANKSIf an airport has low visiblity or VFR is not possible, the pilot then uses a(n)___________________."It could be two things, either Special VFR or IFR clearances."If a Twin Otter pilot is trying to land on a small airport without a FBO, he is trying to land at a(n) _______________ airport. "Am I guessing right in that you wanted uncontrolled airport? If thats what you were looking for its wrong, maybe unattended airport? Uncontrolled airfields have FBOs on them as well."7)MULTIPLE CHOICEWhat is the radio station one must tune into before flying VFR in the US or Canada?a)UNICOMb)FSSc)MULTICOMd)CLEARANCE DELIVERY"Not sure about Canada, but you don't need a radio in the US at ANYTIME to fly VFR. If you go through airspace requiring two-way radio communication, you call ahead and make prior arrangements with the ATC facility."If an Boeing 747 is trying to land at TLPL, which has no ILS, what type of flying conditions is it under?a)IFRb)VFRc)Approachd)Final"Question makes no sense at all. It could be VFR or IFR.Did I mention I like to nit-pick :)?

I am not a real pilot so here is my guess!1. Departure routes and procedures. (Standard Instrumnent Departure ?)2. Srandard Terminal Arrival Route. Shows the fixes and proceduresd for arrival at a particular airport.3. Freeway in the sky that connects fixes, VOR's, airports. Planes fly along route.4. Time at the GrrenWich meridian. Standard time for aviation.5. It looks to me like the glide slope.6. ILS to land. ( I am not sure what answer you are looking for) Uncontrolled airport7. b a (guess!) b9. Pratt $ Whitney (Total guess!) Bendix King10. I am not familiar with the plane. Depends on runway length, obstacles, altitude, winds, aircraft manufacturer recommendations.I guess usually it's 1 notch of flaps.No idea about the 727. Take careMike

Matt,a boing 747 will never be VFR.it could be performing a visual approach,but that's still an IFR clearance and doesn't mean he's VFR.so I guess it's answer a (doing an NDB/VOR/GPS/RNAV/LOC approach)regards,Seba

I noted those errors and I fixed them.Here is the REVISED version.SHORT ANSWER1)What is a SID?2)What is a STAR?3)What is an Airway?4)What is ZULU time?5)(SEE FIGURE 1) What is the name of the RED line?6)FILL IN THE BLANKSIf an airport has low visiblity or VFR is not possible and no ILS at the airport, the pilot then uses a(n)___________________. (HINT:A TYPE OF CHART) If a Twin Otter pilot is trying to land on a small airport without a FBO or Control Tower, he is trying to land at a(n) _______________ airport. 7)MULTIPLE CHOICEWhat is the radio station one would tune into before flying VFR safely? a)UNICOM b)FSS c)MULTICOM d)CLEARANCE DELIVERYName the PHYSICS PRINCIPLE that explains lift a)Bernoulli's Principle b)Archimides Principle c)Theory of Relativity d)Theory of GravityIf a British Airways Boeing 747 is trying to land at Hewanorra Int., which has no ILS, what type of flying conditions is it under? a)IFR b)VFR c)Approach d)FinalSHORT ANSWER CONT.9)What is the engine manufacturer of the DEHAVILLAND DHC8 engine? Name one AVIONICS manufacturer.10)CRITICAL THINKING/PROBLEM SOLVINGA Boeing 727 pilot is landing at San Juan International(TJSJ) coming from Newark International(KEWR), he was crusing at FL330, with a full load, what must be his landing speed. The weather at TJSJ is clear with a winds blowing 270 at 07 knots. What runway should the plane land on 10/28 (ILS only 10) or 08/26(ILS only 08) and what type of an approach is it? A Twin otter pilot is taking off from George Charles airport(TLPC), he is flying about 3/4 full. The runway is 6201 ft in lenth. The sky conditions are clear. What degree must his flaps be set?

Why would a 747 never be VFR? Where is the regulation that states that it must be IFR? In fact, there is none :). If its a part 121 operator, then yes, the 747 would be required to be IFR. You need to be bit more specific in your quizzes.In fact, not too long ago there was a C-5 VFR at 2500 down here in Flordia. Size is not dependant on VFR/IFR requirements. mw