Sign in to follow this  
meshman

How do I convert a GMAX file to a BGL?

I just used Turbo Squid to create a simple object. and I also selected a color to paint this object with.It is saved as dont.gmaxSo, now how do I convert this to a format that I can use as FSX Scenery object. I would think, I need to convert this to a bgl format as well as get a bmp texture out of this too.Any ideas?MannyAll right I found this in the SDK Help filegmaxIn order for gmax to work correctly with the scripts and tools of this SDK, go through the following steps:Ensure that .NET Framework Version 2.0 is installed. If not, install it from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en Install gmax by visiting http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax and running the download and installer. After installation you will be required to register with Turbosquid to activate the product. Ensure that the gamepack provided in the SDK (FSX_GmaxGamepack) is copied to the correct folder, which in a default installation would be the C:Gmaxgamepacks folder. Make sure that you run gmax from the shortcut provided (FSX_GMaxGamePack). The shortcut provides Flight Simulator X specific additions to gmax, and the recommended procedure is to copy the shortcut to your desktop. In order to view all of the features of the Oil Rig Sample file, copy the files from the FSX_GmaxGamePacktexturesDDSFiles directory into the Microsoft Flight Simulator XAddon Scenerytexture directory. The gamepack supports the tools described in this document (attach point, animation manager, cloud tool, LOD and Guid generation) and FSX Materials. NoteThere is a known issue with gmax that will cause the model textures to not be found on first run of a model. There are two work-arounds to this problem:Open the model file once and from then on use the shortcut created at the bottom of the file menu in gmax. Redirect the path to the textures directory using Customize -> Configure Paths -> Bitmaps. The Q is, where is FSX_GmaxGamepack? What is it anyway? is it a folder with a set of files or what?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

All right..I found that folder and copied it over in the right place.I created an object. clicked on get GUID and clicked on LOD (Not sure what this does) then exported this as FSX. The only fmailyar export format I saw was MDL.I now have an MDL. not a bgl.How do I use this MDL as an object?:)Manny

Manny

K..I added the MDL as a library object using Library maker from "Instant scenery" to get the bgl and now, I can add this simple object to my sceneriesOooh hoooo!Now, I need to figureout, how to create the texture for this and add that as wellManny

Manny

Congrats Manny, wasn't so hard.... right?Look for Imagetool.exe to get your textures where they are set up for FSX.