Sign in to follow this  
Manny

GMAX Q. How do I apply the Texture?

OK.. I built a house in GMAX.I have two house bit maps..one for day and 1 for night.I am following the FS9 SDK Tutorial. But where it says "click on the "show map in viewport button, (at this point the house will look pretty weird because it has no UVW mapping yet".But I do not see the texture applied to the house. When I click on the "show map" all I see the the default ambient color that is being applied to the house. Not the map texture.When I had to select a material, I did not select "standard". I picked FSX Material.What am I doing wrong?Any ideas?Mannyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184362.jpg

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

That is what happens with the FSX Gamepack. there are two ways to deal with it:1. In the top-right drop-down box (in the Edit UVW window above) select Pick Texture. The Material Navigator will open. Click on 'Browse from: applied' and your texture will appear in the window. Select the texture and press ok to close the navigator.2. Apply a standard material as a place-holder instead of the FSX material, and replace it with the FSX material when you have finished mapping.With method 1 you would need to do this every time you want to edit the UVWs, and with method 2 you have to remember to apply the FSX material at the end. Neither is ideal, but both work.Godzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Thanks toprob.I'll try that and let you know.BTW...I have been going to the Godzone site to learn about GMAX Goos site.:)Manny

Manny

I got itThanksOption 1 works.Manny

Manny

toprob,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184435.jpgMyhouse. OK.. I built it and slapped the bmp texture to it and now, I can place it where ever I want.Now, I have a q. Since I used the bmp that was already built. I dragged and dropped it into Imagetool and added mipmaps and saved as DX1 into the texture folder of my scenery. Now, I need to create my own texture.Can you confirm if this world work.I looked the bmp texture in the sample, IT had the following Characteristics. 1. Resolution is 72Dots per inch. 2. Width/Ht was 256 X 256 Pixels (Color) and format was bmp. So I am thinking..All I need is build a texture or convert a jpg photograph to 72dots / inch, 256 X 256 pixel bmp and I am good to go. (naturally, I would need the night bmp as well) And use this new texture.bmp instead.Is that right? OR is it more complicated than that?Manny

Manny

Hi MannyYes, it is as simple as that. Just a couple of points -- your image need not be that particular size, but it does need to be a power-of-two. I've covered that in my tutorial here:http://www.windowlight.co.nz/simplebuildingnew2.html...so your texture size may be 256x256, but it could be larger -- 512x512, for instance -- if you wanted more detail, or wanted to combine more than one model's texture into one.By the way, dots per inch is irrelevant, and should just be ignored, otherwise you may accidentally resize your image. As long as it is a specific size in pixels -- such as 256x256 -- that's all that matters. DPI is for printing only. Changing the DPI of your 256x256 image should still give a 256x256 image, which is all that matters to the simulator.Godzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

toprob...I think your tutorial is a work of art.I would suggest one change, thou..Since devcon, we've learned a lot about the impact of draw calls on performance. I'm sure youve read Adrian Woods' blog....http://blogs.technet.com/torgo3000/It would be a service to the learner if they could use your great tutorial and learn these lessons as well.specifically, this new learning drives a different conclusion regarding texture size choice..not to make the smallest, but rather perhaps the biggest possible if you can include on that texture all the structures or many of the structures in a given area, as that will reduce the draw calls. With modern video cards having large memories, you'll have a favorable tradeoff in performance with fewer draw calls and bigger textures.The harder one for me to actually attend to is texture fracturing, althought I promise to try! lol But its worth discussing if you don't have to individually adjust each side seperately, you'll avoid doubling or worse your vertex count.Anyway...a suggestion.Cheers,Bob

I've been thinking the same thing lately -- although the tutorials are designed to be just enough to get people started, without overwhelming them, I may be teaching some very bad habits when it comes to texturing:)It may be time to expand on this a little, even if it is just a link to Adrian's blog -- he explains it really well. Of course first I need to practice what I preach, and actually get into the habit of reducing vertices. At the moment I've got as far as just reminding myself to map for the minimum number of vertices, but I'm very aware that on some objects my vertex count must be skyrocketing.Godzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

toprob,Thank you for that info.Yes..I took the bmp and modified it using PC Paint and changed the outer skin for FSX. Today I installed the Adobe suite CS2 and I am going through the tutorials for it... There is no stopping me now! I am goping downtown! Hee Hee.BTW.. Coming back to GMaxI am assuming that in GMax, I can join two finished objects to build one object. Is my assumption correct? For e.g. If I want to build a column or a chimney for a house. I just have to build one of them and then use it multiple times for different houses. :)Manny

Manny