Sign in to follow this  
Holger

OpenStreetMap integration

Guest cbuchner1

Hi there,Would anyone know if its possible to inject vector road definitions into Flight Simulator X during run time? I was thinking to pull OpenStreetMap data during flight, extract the major roads and generate vector BGLs on the fly. But then, the BGLs are part of the "scenery library" which isn't really refreshed that often by FSX. The only way I could think of injecting this at run time is to have "dummy BGLs" shipping with Tileproxy, containing essentially no vector data at all, and these then get populated during flight, as TP collects scenery. The big question is whether FSX keeps these files locked (non writeable) during flight, which would prevent any updates.Christian

I suspect that would be difficult to do. Certainly any bgl files being used by FSX are locked. Also I don't think there is a way to update them on the fly - but then I might well be wrong :-)

Hi guys,actually, it's possible to replace cvx files during a flight though you need to do a scenery library refresh to have them being used reliably and right away. The other issue is that this doesn't work if FSX is actively reading from a cvx file, which can be quite frequent depending on the density of data in the cvx file and the speed of the user aircraft. Last but no least, some information is not being re-read even after a library refresh; roads and other vector/poly data are OK but AFCADs and some other data types appear to be cached until FSX gets shut down or a new flight in a location very far away is loaded.Caveat: this is all observational information; I haven't done any formal testing on this.Cheers, Holger