Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

I need your experience...

Hi all!!I'm making an small city with an aerodrome with Google Earth and FSX KML.I'm having no problems at all.But when i see my wotk in FSX i notice that my road and railways don't match with FSX default scenery.I' try to explain a little more: where my roads/railways finish is not where start roads/railways of FSX. Usually there is a difference of some miles. I asume because there is a difference between GE and FSX default scenery.What could you recommend me to do to make a better transition between both?I hope you could help me in this issue. I started really smooth and i never thought i would have this particular problem.Thanks in advance!!Tanocapo

Ignacio aka Tanocapo

I'll start by admitting I don't know anything about google earth. But I do know that this result can happen if you don't use imagry that is projected using the geographic projection with the right datum, wgs84.Check this at least.Bob

So i imagine that FSX uses WGS1984. And where can i get this imagery? Is it public domain?Thaks to answer me, Bob!!

Ignacio aka Tanocapo

The imagry can be converted from one projection to another. I never have found any imagry that is provided in Geographic projection.All imagry I've used is therefore reprojected. Read Google Earth, and look for information on their projection. It'll be there, perhaps in "meta data" file. The project that usds uses is Utm (universal transverse mercator). Conversion utilities are out there for free. Several threads have contained recommendations. I'm sorry I can't be specific, I have a commercial tool I use called Global Mapper. I believe Fwtools is one of the useful freeware utilities.Best,Bob

I suspect the problem is not one of datums (unless the image in GE is improperly placed, it will be correct), but rather the problem is that you are excluding the default roads but your new roads aren't reaching all the way to the continuation of the roads (which you didn't exclude). It was easier in FS9 because with sbuilder you could import the default files and make sure your new work would join the existing. There isn't any tool in FSX that can pull in the vector (cvx) data (aside from TMFViewer which isn't that useful for this), so you will have to first create your exclusions, and then go into the sim and fly to the point where default scenery starts and get the coordinates. You will probably find you will have to free-hand draw from the end of your extracted vector data to join up (and you have to smooth things out a bit in practice) with the default, and then fine tune in the sim. Post a pix showing the problem with the location.scott s..

Scott, what is the default projection of Google Earth? Unless its geographic, the guy's roads have no hope, don't you think?My stuff lines up with fsx default vector data surpisingly well.