Sign in to follow this  
irocx

.bgl to.xml with NewBGLAnalyze

Hi again, I created some scenery of my local airfield for FSX using the OPT. I was forced into a re-install of FSX and the SDK (both SP2) and unfortunately I backed up all relevent files from the SDK except the original XML file for the scenery. I am now trying to remove a couple of objects from the scenery, and have used newBGLanalyse and BGL2xml to create a new file, but when I load it into the OPT, I get no names or GUID's for the objects. When I used bgl2xml and loaded the OPT, the object handles appeared and I could delete the objects, but when I recompiled the BGL, everything was gone. With newbglanalyze, the handles won't appear, but everything recompiles fine (when I delete an object by hand editing the xml in notepad). I have tried using lat/long coordinates to eliminate the static plane objects, but that is like hit or miss.How can I rebuild the name list in the OPT, so I know what I am removing? Hope I don't need to start from scratch here...... Thanks for the help.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 169.28's Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Do you mean NewBglAnalyze or BglAnalyzeX? Winfried created a new utility for FSX so you would want to use BglAnalyzeX

Hi Jon, Sorry, I should have said BGLAnalyzeX, which is what I tried (along with BGL2XML) and found that when I load the resulting xml file, I get "unknown" in the object description window of the OPT. Is there a way to re-build this list so I can be aware of what I'm removing in the scenery? I did use SP2. Thanks.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 169.28's Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

To be honest I do not know anything about OPT. Is it using some XML code that is not used in BglComp? What list are you trying to build? If you have the Bgl file and want to mail it to me I can take a look at it if you let me know what you want to get out of itjon AT scruffyduck.co.uk

Hi Jon,Again, sorry that I am so vague. I am referring to the Object Placment Tool (OPT) in FSX. (saw it referred to that over at FSDeveloper forums so figured it was a common acronym). I added some objects to my local airfield using the OPT, but didn't save the original XML file used to reload the scenery into the OPT, thus I have tried using the other tools to decompile the scenery BGL. When I load the resulting XML into the OPT, there is no description of the objects I've added - all it says is "unknown object", for each. I need some sort of description or guid number to reference so I know which item to select for removal. It's sounding like I may need to start from scratch or I suppose I could create some excludes to remove the static planes I added. Unless someone knows anything different ???Thanks again for taking time to assist!Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 169.28's Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

>Hi Jon,>>Again, sorry that I am so vague. I am referring to the Object>Placment Tool (OPT) in FSX. -SNIP- Unless someone knows>anything different ???>>Thanks again for taking time to assist!>>Regards, KendallHi Kendall.You might try a 'maual' approach to detemining which GUIDs belongto a given scenery object.The XML file you have from the decompiled BGL should have theGUIDs called out.I have a file I downloaded called "sceneobjects.zip" that has allthe FSX scenery objects and the JPGs showing them listed by typeand also alphabetically by GUID.You could go through your list and try to match the GUIDs.If it's cars you are trying to remove, you could also look inthe car library and match them by sight, then get the GUID fromthe library JPG.The library files were created by Lamont Clack and the above file can be downloaded from his site:http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects.zipIt's 161MB in size but is a very usefull tool, IMO.Here is a JPG of a section of the vehicle library displayfrom the above mentioned file:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185915.jpg[image]185915.jpg[/image]With a given GUID from your XML file, you could search the foldersin the above library for that text, which would appear in the listingsof the JPG files that are used to display the objects. See this link:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185917.jpg Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hi Paul, Yep, I have that file and tried that method, unfortunately the GUID's changed after decompliling or are different. As I mentioned earlier, I also tried comparing Lat/lon values, but started wiping out some things I wanted to keep. At this point, I'd like to find a way to refresh the descriptions for future changes, otherwise, I'll have to start from scratch (or give Instant Scnery a whirl). I could of sworn I had saved the orginal .XML somewhere :-mad.........Thanks for trying to help.

Regards, Kendall

Have you considered using something other than the OPT? Have you heard of a placement utility named Whisplacer by Lamont Clark? It's available at the same web location that Gypsy Baron linked and allows realtime object placement, generic building placement, exclusions, just a nice all around tool. But read the short useage section, as it takes a slightly different approach with mouse clicks, selection choices. But once you get the hang of it, you'll find it works well.And it just might be able to work with that scenery file you're trying to change...

>Have you considered using something other than the OPT? Have>you heard of a placement utility named Whisplacer by Lamont>Clark? I was just getting around to that and have a copy of Whisplacer. I tried using it before, but if I recall, I had trouble connecting with the live preview and went back to the OPT.Anyway, I just tried Whisplacer without connecting to FSX and it deleted the objects just fine! My thanks for the timely suggestion and to all for the help. While I'm here I'd also like to offer my thanks and appreciation for all who contribute these fantastic tools and run the various forums dedicated to FS development - it really adds a whole new level of involvement and enjoyment with the sims and they are indeed an asset to the entire community.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 169.28's Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall