Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Going from USGS Seamless Server to BGL format. Any tutorials?

Guest cbuchner1

Would there there be any tutorials available how to process elevation data (e.g. NED 1/3 arc second) downloaded from USGS seamless servers into BGLs for use in Flight Simulator?For the output format I selected:Output Format: BILNAD 83 GeographicX cell Size: 00.00009 DegreesY cell Size: 00.00009 DegreesI suppose NAD 83 format requires some reprojetion to WGS 84. I could also have selected GeoTiff or GridFloat format, all of which are in floating point. Now the big question is which free software could I use for reprojection...For the moment, I am just trying to get a Bryce Canyon at 10m resolution. But maybe later I want to cover larger areas and figure out how to make evelation meshes streamable in tileproxy... umm...Any pointers in the right direction would be helpful.Christian

Hi Christian,old thread but still valid: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchFor 10-m data you may want to work with the FractionBits parameter to get sub-meter vertical resolution and avoid terracing effects; see the Terrain SDK. General background on FS mesh design (some of it has changed for FSX) available at Steve Greenwood's old site: http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/welcome.shtmlCheers, Holger

Guest cbuchner1

Excellent.NAD83 is essentially WGS84 with very minor (neglectable?) differences according to this: http://www.mentorsoftwareinc.com/resource/Nad83.htmSo a reprojection does not appear to be necessary. In essence a download from the Seamless server can be turned into a BGL very easily and quickly. I supposed this could also be done by Tileproxy in an automated way, except that the terms of use of the Seamless server may not allow scripted access.

Guest cbuchner1

lol, I just searched on Google for "usgs seamless terms of use" and the FIRST hit was this very thread which I started not an hour ago.Blast, Google is QUICK.

>Excellent.>>NAD83 is essentially WGS84 with very minor (neglectable?)>differences according to this:>http://www.mentorsoftwareinc.com/resource/Nad83.htm>>So a reprojection does not appear to be necessary. In essence>a download from the Seamless server can be turned into a BGL>very easily and quickly. I supposed this could also be done by>Tileproxy in an automated way, except that the terms of use of>the Seamless server may not allow scripted access.>>Not so fast, my friend.... Learn from my efforts of a few weeks back, you do need to reproject as even with no significant variance between NAD83 and WGS84, there's this very picky program called Resample which must, I repeat must be fed only WGS84 - Geographic files.The other particular thing to be careful of, OK, two things, first is the fractional bits setting, which samples or smoothes the terraced look of mesh. A setting of greater than 2 will run you out of elevation data ranges if you're not careful. I used a FB setting of 3 and found some "holes" in my mesh at the top of two mountains. The setting of 3 gives you -4096m to +4096m and my two little mountains just happen to be just above 4,096m. Resample gave me two 27,000 holes where the mountain peaks were suppose to be....The other comment I would make is use the compression setting. IIRC, mine is at 85% and the file size savings is significant.And a freeware tool to look at the GeoTiffs and reproject that I've used is called MapWindow; http://www.mapwindow.com/

Guest cbuchner1

I suppose I can tweak RESAMLE.EXE into accepting the BIL file directly, as it is just 2 byte integer variables in little endian order. I remember seing an INF file for RESAMPLE in some forums that could directly accept the BIL file as input.I have no intention to provide a GeoTiff to RESAMPLE.

Guest cbuchner1

It`s the download size. BIL format is about twice as efficient as any floating point based format. So I can get all of USA quicker ;) Will still be around 90 GB or so. Ouch.I will just have to interpolate out the terracing effect that I get from vertical sampling at integer 1 meters in the BIL source data.Christian