Sign in to follow this  

Flying HAS to be more difficult than this!!!!!!!

don't you >think MS could do a little (in respect to there enourmous >financing and resources) effort to make a more realistic >flight model? >>Yours Truly, >>CB :-wave Your all forgetting one thing. The flight model(physics engine) itself might be quite good. The other factor that determines how a plane will fly is the air file. Inwich is enclosed proprietary data pertaining to the aircraft for wich it is assigned(BOEING for example). Obtained via contract with the aircraft manufacturers. Hence the reason why the SDK for the air file will not be released. Being that the air file data is concidered " some what sensative " data) I seriously doubt that all of the pertinate data was included in the airfile relating to the aircraft or even that the data is 100% correct. And you can't expect small time 3rd party aircraft designers to be able to gain access to proprietary flight dynamics data for any type of aircraft. So to put it simply, If the plane sucks in the air, then the air file sucks.Pete J.

>However, instrument flight is another thing, this does >really well in the sim. All that lacks is the vertigo. >>Bruce. There is an instructor at KGAI that recommends to all of his student pilots, to get FS2k2. Reason being that in his opinion the education regarding instrument usage is excellent. And of course because its cheaper than the $700 dollar Jeppsen simulator.Pete J.

It's a game! It has features to emulate the real world, but it's still a game. Real flying is NOTHING like this sim.Don

>It's a game! It has features to emulate the real world, but >it's still a game. Real flying is NOTHING like this sim. >Don Real flying is nothing like any sim. 10 million or 70 dollars.Yes the real ones are more accurate but nott completely.Yes its a sim. But a sim teaching tool. Not a sim game.Pete

Hi !>ive been flightsiming since fs98 I can land it on the >centerline but without bouncing and on or near the runway >numbers...only when I get lucky.:-) Same for me .. and I never watched my touchdown-speeds or the vertical speed. Most of the time I "crash"-landed.So I wrote a little tool called "Mission-Control". With this program running in the background your flights will be rated. Besides checkpoints, limits and flight-levels your landings will be rated too. The rating includes the speed, vertical-speed, touchdown-point, number of jumps, etc.. this helped me a lot to improve my approaches. Now I can see how good or bad the touchdown was, its measured in numbers.Flying got more challenging and "serious", actually there is now a need to watch the instruments and smooth flying.Greetings - Weasel75home of MissionControl:fast download at avsim (version 0.3):[link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=15428&CatID=fs2002adv]avsim.net

In some ways, real flying is even a little easier than FS2K2, IMO. But our reluctance to climb in a strange aircraft and takeoff in real life probably stems from our tendency towards self preservation. It's easy to be daring in a game, but if your life were dependent on the quality of your landing, would you still play? I think some people fly FS2K2 as a game - climb in a plane, takeoff, and buzz the local metropolitan area. On the other hand, some of us use it as a simulation and training tool. It gave me a huge boost when I started my PPL because I was accustomed to a good instrument scan, had a decent feel for the physics of flight, had some familiarity with ATC, could read a sectional, and knew the local landscape like the back of my hand.As for starting the thing up, my father-in-law let me start up a Hawker 800 (under his supervision) after becoming familiar with the panel in Fly!. There was no great secret to it. The Cessna starts pretty much as it does in the sim (except priming is a bit difficult to simulate). Most of the turbos are way too simplified, including the Cheyenne. The Shorts 360 sim for FS2K showed us that starting a twin is not as easy as we had been led to believe. We'd probably have more serious panels available if the majority of "gamers" didn't whine so much about having to actually read a manual.David

> But our reluctance to climb in a strange >aircraft and takeoff in real life probably stems from our >tendency towards self preservation. That's the real bottom line........... isn't it!!! :)L.Adamson

>That VC thing. While >neat. Is just eyecandy. Even if it was functional. >I think the VC is more than that. Never much bothered with airport patterns until using VC's. Now they seem much more authentic. The VC's work great for sight seeing, but then that's the major reason I took up real flight------------ sight seeing!!!!L.Adamson

If Microsoft made the sim just like real life, their sales would go down the tubes because the average person would not be able to get the plane off the ground let along land it:) IMHO..They would no longer buy the sim..Sawacs

Hi Larry,"> But our reluctance to climb in a strange >aircraft and takeoff in real life probably stems from our >tendency towards self preservation. "Absolutely! I wonder who here goes to the FAA weather or DUATS site and downloads forecast / current weather before flying somewhere. I would never fly in reality without that, plus the current NOTAMs (although FS airports don't change unless you do something like add new scenery, so no surprises- unlike real flying).A good thread.Bruce.

>It's a game! It has features to emulate the real world, but >it's still a game. Real flying is NOTHING like this sim. >Don Maybe so -- BUT I do believe that the mental processes that you use while "playing" this game are much the same as those you use while flying for real -- and the knowledge of the physics of flight which you must have to play this game are also the same as what you must have to control an aircraft in real life. Barry

The ONLY real use that this game has to any real world pilot is it can be used as a procedural trainer. That's it. The 70 million dollar ones can simulate EVERYTHING and make pilots sweat more then the real ones do. But it is true, it still isn't the same, but it's really close. I've flown in both and the real ones. This is a game.Don

>The ONLY real use that this game has to any real world pilot >is it can be used as a procedural trainer. That's it. The 70 >million dollar ones can simulate EVERYTHING and make pilots >sweat more then the real ones do. But it is true, it still >isn't the same, but it's really close. I've flown in both >and the real ones. This is a game. >Don Thats a no doah! Thats is for what it was intented.Pete

>It's a game! It has features to emulate the real world, but >it's still a game. Real flying is NOTHING like this sim. Maybe you're right.........I have a tendency to fly my simulated GA aircraft into "box" canyons, with rising high altitude terrain, knowing I'll probably never make it out. And usually don't!! NEVER would be so "stupid" (on purpose) in real life :)L.Adamson

Not a problem! Pick up some speed and do a half loop and roll out level at the top. You'll be heading back in the opposite direction....OR....dive her a little and pull her verticle. Before she runs out of airspeed stomp on the left rudder. Do this ABOVE stall speed or you'll spin! You will now be coming almost straight down. Power off and pull out easy. You'll have made a 180 and be at about the same altitude you were at when you started. You'll be fine! :)Don