Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Lough Erne RAF base

I've just created a small file using AFCAD2 (FS2004) which allows AI Catalinas etc to land at the old RAF base near Enniskillen, N. Ireland.I have a water runway and both my own plane and the AI planes show up and float nicely on the water. But I have two problems. First is that when I open a window from cockpit view (CTRL+W) my own plane is suddenly at around 100 ft in a dive. Second is that the dock I select when loading FS2004 is not one of the docks created by AFCAD: 309764226.jpgThe altitude of the lough is 200 ft ASL. The AFCAD altitude is 58.7 metres ASL i.e. too low.It would seem that I am not using the AFCAD I think I am using but I have searched for duplicates and there are none. What to do? Thanks.John

Supporter.png

John

Hello John,Airport altitudes cannot be changed - there is no "DeleteAirportAltitude" flag for BGLComp. So, FS always reads the first airport altitude that it finds in the scenery library layers, and uses that no matter what new altitudes are indicated later.You can either continue to use the default airport altitude in your new file, or you can create a short xml file with only the very first part of your AFCAD (the airport identifier, coordinates, new altitude, and new runway and start point altitudes) and compile it. Then, place this small file somewhere below the default AP file and FS will read it first.That should solve the altitude problem.Best regards.Luis

Thanks LuisI have solved the altitude problem but the other problem remains. This is that when I use CTRL+W to open a window and then cycle for AI traffic in the vicinity, my own aircraft shoots up in the air 100 ft before diving steeply to destruction. I can cycle happily through many AI planes if my own plane is at a land airfield. I've checked my key assignments (CTRL+W) and these are ok. I wonder what I am doing wrong? I'm using Holger's recommendations for setting up a seaplane base - runway type, width, taxiways etc.

Supporter.png

John

Hello John,If you have strange anomalies when opening another window, then perhaps you are experiencing problems with system resources. Every other window that is open is like having a separate instance of FS running on the same computer. Very stressful for hardware.You might try testing this by turning all sliders down to minimum and turning off everything else, such as shadows, bloom, clouds, etc. Do that before starting a flight so that memory will not be saturated, and then try opening another window to see if you have the same brusque movements.Best regards.Luis

Yes, Luis, of course you are correct as usual! It is so easy to just add this and that and then all of a sudden the system cannot cope. I have FSInn opening automatically even if I am not flying Vatsim. And I use a double monitor set up - one for my AI planes, FSNav, GPS - the other for the aircraft I am flying. When I reduce some of this I get a more stable system. The only way forward is to go WideFS and use a second PC to share some of the workload. Thanks again.John

Supporter.png

John