Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

FS9 - Strange cross in Scotland - Cause?

Hi,For some time now I have noted a strange cross straddling the landscape of part of Scotland. I've no idea as to what might be the cause so I thought I would ask here in the hope someone recognizes the problem and can help me get rid of it.View - Top Down (All UT-Europe and Scotflight entries: TRUE)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186847.jpgView - Top Down (All UT-Europe and Scotflight entries: FALSE)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186848.jpgView - Spot (All UT-Europe and Scotflight entries: FALSE)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186849.jpgI have UT-Europe and Scotflight (2.1a) installed plus some compatibility fixes (by S. Flannigan) which help to allow the two products to work together. Ground textures are provided by Ground Environment Professional (2.1.3).This is how my Scenery.cfg entries are prioritized:(Areas 24 -29)Ultimate Terrain - Europe 1 - 6 (Area.061)Title=ScotflightLandClass (Area.062)Title=Scotflight RAF Landclass (Area.063)Title=Scotflight RAF Coastline (Area.064)Title=UtEurCity (Area.065)Title=Ultimate Terrain - Ind/Comm Landclass (Area.169)Title=Scotflight (Area.170)Title=Scotflight RAF Collection (Area.171)Title=Scotflight_UTCompatibilityFixes The fact that this problem persists when all the UT-Europe and Scotflight entries in Scenery.cfg are disabled does seem to indicate to me that the cause presumably lies elsewhere...but what could be responsible? To me the images suggest missing textures at bounderies described by the cross shape, but how could this have happened?I have 9148 objects in my Flight Simulator 9SceneryWorldTexture folder. Thanks.Mike

Hi Mike,could be a land class file with an improper call for photoreal ground textures; if those aren't provided the LOD13 cells will show gray.I seem to recall that a set of land class files for urban areas in Alaska had that kind of circumglobal effect; maybe you have those installed? In any case, I'd focus on land class add-ons.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,What ever would we do without you?! :)Your helpful reply was enough to point me in the right direction.Turns out TileProxy is the culprit. As yet, I haven't used it in FS9 but all the entries have been added to FS9's Scenery.cfg in preparation for that day. I have used TileProxy quite a lot in FSX and the Photoreal textures are saved onto my second physical drive to avoid cluttering up my simming and gaming drive, and also to improve access times performance for these files. These files are/will be shared by FS9 and all the entries for the TP areas in scenery.cfg for both FSX and FS9 have priority over all other areas in the library.The area I have been flying in most while using TP is, of course, my home area south of Edinburgh. The texture files are saved in E:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesTileProxy Photoreal World0501TextureWhen I disable this area (WORLD_0501) in the Scenery library the grey cross disappears and all's well.Unfortunately Microsoft VE does not have high resolution imagery covering the area north of the Firth of Forth so I may not be able to resolve this issue while at the same time keeping (WORLD_0501) active.I'll point Christian to this thread and see if he has any suggestions to make.Thanks again Holger. This was really bugging me!Regards and best wishes,Mike

Guest cbuchner1

The most recent Tileproxy version (Beta 7) fixes this scenery authoring problem. You can also retro-fit an older version (say Beta 6) with the contents from the Tileproxy Photoreal World folder of Beta 7.Christian

Hi Christian,Many thanks!I downloaded 'Tileproxy_Beta7_Mar21.zip' last night, but have yet to get it up and running.Enjoy your well-earned respite!Regards,Mike