Sign in to follow this  
Guest blazingcessna

Rebuilding KPFN and I need help!

Guest blazingcessna

Well I have decided to learn Gmax. The currently available KPFN by John B. Loney, Jr. is great, but is not exact. I plan on building custom models in Gmax and making mine as accurate as possible. The current airport has about 2 or 3 more years before it is replaced, and I really want a way to remember this airport as it is now. I have already built the SheltAir building in Gmax, but now I have no idea how to get textures on the object. I have actual photos of the building, and want to use them to skin the model. If that is not possible, I can create them in MSPaint. Also once I figure this out (hopefully with help from here!) how do get it into FS for placement with Instant Scenery? I have read an reread as well as attempted the tutorials, with some success so I am not a total nimrod at this! Another nagging question is what scale I need to use?Where can I find static GA aircraft models?Please help!

Guest blazingcessna

Thanks for all the help gang...You people effing rock....

Guess I wasn't the only one who missed this...I've done a GMAX modelling tutorial which includes a bit on texturing -- http://www.windowlight.co.nz/simplebuildingnew1.htmlAll scales should be set to metres in GMAX. FSX has a number of default library static aircraft, but generally static aircraft are disliked by users -- they prefer AI.Godzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Guest blazingcessna

Oh thank you so much!!!For some reason most of my posts go ignored...

I feel your frustration...but that's because you are asking questions which are not really "problems". They can all be answered by sitting down, warming up a chair a bit and going through the extensive SDK documentation to find out how to get to where you want to go. We've all done that - it's called a learning curve. If you need something more basic, there are GMAX modeling tutorials which will show you step by step how to texture an object.And just not to turn you off right away, here is a quick "flowchart" on how to texture a model:Create a 1024x1024 texture that has walls and roof of your buildingCreate materialAssign that texture in DIFFUSE slotApply material to your objectHaving object selected, press "UVW MAP Modifier" button, on your "Modifiers" section of the TAB panel (press Y if you don't see it)Look at the Parameters section of the modifier: you'll see various options for mapping. Here you choose the mapping of the texture onto the object that best suits your geometry. In your case ( a building with flat walls) choose FACE because you will be assigning UV coordinates to all the walls separately. What FACE did is it applied the WHOLE texture to each and every face of your building. You probably wouldn't do that in some other cases, but for your building it is the way to go.Make sure your building is converted to "Editable Mesh" typeSelect one wall of your building, say, front facia, click "Unwrap UWV Modifier", and select "Edit".New window opens with your bitmap shown. There will also be a rectangle around the edges of your bitmap. This rectangle is the front wall of your building, and the corners are UV vertices. You can move these vertices around, and this will determine how your front wall will project the portion of your texture. Simply move vertices into the corners of your front wall on the textures. You can see how this affects the look of the front wall of your object in real-time.If your right and left walls are identical, you'll need only one texture area for this. You can then select 2 walls (faces) at the same time and adjust the UV positioning on both of the walls simultaneously.Repeat this process for all of the walls of your structure and you are done!

P3D SpacePort Team

Guest blazingcessna

Thank you so much...