Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

Please can someone help with bgl decompile problem?

I have no problem with the old bgl format, using scasm, but I have never got the hang of the new format. I used newbglanalyze to decompile a scenery bgl file. I get a small xml file and an .mdl file of the same size as the original bgl. The xml file is as below. The bgl contains many buildings, some of which I want to remove. No idea how to proceed though - I thought Object Viewer (scruffyduck) might help, but the gods are against me: every time I run it I get "Object Viewer has encountered a problem and needs to close..."Clearly there's nothing in the xml file to edit. What must I do with the mdl file to remove what I want? Anyone with the time to put me in the right direction here, many thanks in advance,Martin ---------------------------------- - - - - - - -

MartinThe xml above seems to be decompiled with bglxml is that correct? It also appears to contain a single model that is placed in this file. Is this a stock bgl file or a special one? I think you emailed me about LOV and I have replied. Perhaps you can explain a bit more about what you are trying to do? Are you trying to modify scenery in FS by removing default buildings etc? If so then you do not need to modify the xml source but use something called exclusion rectangles.As well as bglxml there area couple of other utilities that can read a FS9 bgl file - I assume you are working in FS9?? NewBglAnalyze you mention but Bgl2Xml or SDE Test App (Both on my site) will also read FS9 bgl files. Bgl2Xml produces an xml file and SDE TestApp provides a tree view of the bgl file contents

Hi Jon, thanks for replying (and for the e-mail - I'll answer that by return email).I think I used NewBglAnalyze to decompile the bgl, though I have bglxml too. What I am trying to do is remove some buildings in a 3rd. party airport scenery (yes, FS9) that have no texture bitmaps, so are just grey/silver. With the old style scasm route, it's a piece of cake, but being left with this small xml file and a large mdl file that I don't know how to edit, I am totally stuck. Presumably I need to open up the mdl file somehow, as I would the sca file for the older files, and edit it? Or, otherwise??Thanks!Martin

Hello Martin, In a way, things are much simpler now. The SCASM file had everything in it and we had to wade through a lot of confusing lines. The new style files are broken into 2 parts: - the placement information, coordinates, orientation, and such, as well as the name or GUID of the model to place there; - the model itself, with all its geometry and mapping.So, when you take apart a new style file, all you need to determine is what placement info to remove. In the file you indicate, there only seems to be placement information for one model, so you can just remove that bgl altogether and the object should no longer display in game.Best regards.Luis

But when I remove that bgl file, many other buildings disappear too - all different types of design. That's what I don't understand - why is the xml file so small? All the details of the different buildings must be in the one mdl file, but how do I select which buildings to keep and which to delete, since I can't open the mdl file (would that be helpful even - I've no idea what format an 'opened' mdl file would present)?Thanks again.

"the placement information" - is that the xml file? If so, it doesn't make sense: as I say, there are many buildings in the bgl file, but only one object in the xml or am I reading is wrong?). I am more familiar with gauge xml files, but these scenery ones make no sense to me at all - how can a dozen or so buildings be placed in that tiny xml file I posted?

It'e entirely possible that the MDL file contains more than one object or building. If that is the case then any exclusionary action would be all or nothing.

Which makes the newer system (in so far as I see it) far less "user-friendly" that the old: if the bgl file had decompiled with the old style decompiler I could have edited the sca file easily enough. With this then, I am stuck with what's presented.Ho-hum....