Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

Tools for shifting sceneries?

Hello,if someone would please refresh my memory (I'm a bit out of touch with scenery fiddling, and searching the Net and this forum lost me in the jungle)...I tried my hand at making a small photoscenery (using Photo Scenery Maker), and it went surprisingly well.(Yes, after decades of FSimming I can now finally see my house! :-hah)However, there is a small airfield in the area which is now slightly off position (relative to the photoscenery); it's not more than about 100 m but still...The snag is that this comes from a commercial add-on, so I have only the BGL files to work with* (apparently "old style" ones, e.g. *_2.bgl, *_5.bgl)Hence my general question:What is the current-state-of-the-art tool (if any) to shift a scenery by a given amount?I seem to remember there were such tools, but can't recall names or details. For starters I tried BGL2XML but that won't touch any of the BGLs in question ("BGL ID 1 not correct", which I understand to mean they are not BGLcomp-liant; or probably they are too old-style.)So, is decompiling* and fiddling with ASM files and such my only option?(And, if that's only for wimps, why not hexedit the BGLs directly? :+ )Or is there a more efficient tool to do the job?Thanks for all pointers!Cheers,Martin* Note that this exercise is strictly for my private entertainment and education, no intention of distributing anything.

Bgl2Xml will read only files that are compiled with BglComp for either FS9 or FSX. The error you are seeing indicates (as you surmise) that these are not created with BglComp and have an older format.Shifting airports in general can be quite difficult especially if there are approaches associated with the airport. Sounds a bit like their might not be in this case. I am not familiar with the techniques required to move pre -FS9 airports but hopefully someone else will be

Thanks for the reply, Jon!This is just a small grass field for gliders, so approaches are not a concern here, just a few 3D objects and the concrete ramp :)Cheers,Martin

Perhaps another way would be just to remove or hide the existing airport and build a new one?

I'm not sure what FS version is targetted? but the _2 and _5 files typically are terrain vector bgls created by sbuilder 2.05 or ground2k4 for FS9. These can easily be viewed using lwmviewer, but if you want to do something with them, I recommend installing sbuilder 2.05. Note that after viewing them in lwmviewer, you might conclude they are no longer necessary, or perhaps the easiest solution is just to build new vector terrain for FSX (if that's your target) using sbuilderX or ADE.If you do go the sbuilder route, you can use the "append" function to pull in any vector bgl files. You can move them around in sbuilder, or if you want to target FSX, you can export them in BLN format, which in turn can be read by SbuilderX, allowing you to make vector terrain in the FSX shapefile format. (Note that SbuilderX can also append the shapefiles created by ADE.) Aside from vector terrain, you might come across FS2k2 objects. These are more tricky to work with. You might want to look at Airport for Windows, or Scene Gen X as possibilities for working with these older scenery methods.scott s..

Thanks for the tips!I wanted to give an older version of SBuilder a go once, was thwarted by some installation issues, and gave up; but I'll try again.My main concern are actually the 3D objects, may be I really have to disassemble and try to change coordinates.Cheers,Martin

There is a tutorial on my website on how to set up SBuilder for FS9