Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Exclude files cause Blue Screen of Death in FS9

I'm posting this in this forum rather than the general one as it seems a scenery design problem.I installed a scenery from AVSIM for FYWH (FYWH.zip !) but it causes BSoDs every time I load a flight there. After hours of troubleshooting this, it seems that ANY exclude file in the scenery folder causes this. I have removed the exc bgls that came with the scenery, and the airport then loads OK. But that means I am left with two towers, trees on the apron and so on, so I tried my own exc files with ExcBuilder. Each one I made causes a BSoD. So does adding an exclude line in the scenery.cfg.I tried disabling all my 3rd. part add-on scenery, apart from FYWH: still get BSoD. When I installed the file on another PC, on which I keep an 'out-of-the-box' installation of FS9 for testing purposes, I get no problem, so clearly there is something in my FS9 installation 'proper' that is causing a problem - but having disabled all addon scenery I am at a loss to say waht.The scenery as downloaded comes for some reason I can't fathom with instructions to install two AFCADs (both showing FYWH in AFCAD2), but even with only one installed (one or the other) XP still crashes.So my question here, to you experts who may know, is why might I be getting a BSoD whenever any exclude file or line is added to this scenery? Does this ring any bells with anyone? Many thanks!Martin

BTW, the AFCADs supplied seem to have a lot of errors, parking/gates not connected to the rest of the airport etc., but deleting these and using the default FS9 AFCAD doesn't help.(Under what circumstances could a faulty AFCAD cause blue screen crashes?).M.

Hi Martin. Try deleting the SCENERY.DAT filesin the "base" directory of all your add-ons,in the vincinity of where you BSoD. I would say in a 200 miles radius. Some times, a re-write of those little filescures the problem.Blue skies.

A faulty AFCAD could cause a CTD. Because AFCAD uses it's own compiler it may do things that are not allowed by BglComp. Having said that if the fault finder is run and any faults corrected then I would expect them to work

This is the only scenery installed for several hundred miles around (being in the middle of Namibia!) so after adding one of the exc files again I only had one .dat file to delete. The scenery then loaded fine, with no crash - and only one tower now. Great, I thought, so added the second and last exc file, deleting the .dat file again. This time blue screen: and now whatever I do I can't recreate that first try when the scenery loaded OK - BSoD every time. Very odd. Well, I can live with two ATC towers I suppose - still looks miles better than the default airport. And it's not like this is happening at an airport I fly from more than once a year, even though it would be nice to clear up the problem.Thanks for the tip.

I just downloaded and installed that scenery and had no problems at all.I did NOT place the second Afcad - just left it outside of the scenery and texture subfolders - so the scenery is using the one which is in the scenery subfolder. (that is the way it unzipped into my temp folder).Other than the strange looking tower with the "two" slightly offset tops, the rest of the scenery worked as advertised.This was installed in FS2004 in the default scenery (no addons of any kind in this part of the world).It appears the author did not do a "final review" of the package before uploading. I know of no other reason there should be two, almost identical afcads included.Hope this helps.

Well, my setup must have something about it the scenery doesn't like. No matter - I can live with two towers given the few times I am likely to fly there!Thanks for the reply,Martin