Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Schwartz

Instant Object Maker

Just curious if anyone here has tried the new Instant Object Maker from FlightsimTools and if so, what you think of it - pro or con.You can check it out here:http://flightsimtools.com/iom/I have reviewed the Manual and it looks very good but wanted to see if anyone has any comments to share before purchasing.

Well David,it's like this. I've just spent the better part of the last three hours trying to deal with Flight1 (They have the download wrapper thingy)Seems even though I've purchased, I believe about 15 or so pieces of software through them in the last several years, now it seems my email address is phony. This after all the info boxes came up with all my correct physical address, phone number and two instances of my email address, all this stored on their server. So whats wrong with this picture? Flightsimtools.com very well may be an excellent company with an excellent piece of software, but alas, with Flight1's ineptness I will never get the chance to try it. So if you can get through then maybe you will review it for me!!!John

I am certainly sorry to hear of your problems with Flight1.I too have had purchase several items from them with them with nary a hitch.On a couple of ocassions when I did have a question or a minor problem, they responded quickly and politely.It sounds as if there was a typo by a data entry person somewhere along the line and since computers "never" make a mistake, the human beings you have been dealing with cannot understand the basic problem.Good luck getting it resolved.Perhaps a good night's sleep after an "adult beverage" will make things work out.

I watched the demo and read through the manual. As far as I can tell, there is no way to create any kind of curved surface, and making anything more complex than a simple box shape can quickly get time consuming. For example, to create the minivan as shown in the tutorial, each surface (sides, back, front, roof) must be created seperately, and the front requires 3 seperate surfaces. There doesn't seem to be any way to create a basic shape, like a box, and modify it. I'm pretty sure I could create the same object more easily in Gmax in about the same amount of time. In my opinion, it's a clever but extremely limting approach. The main advantage for novices is probably the ease of texturing objects, which is more involved in Gmax. For me, the inability of this program to create any kind of curved surface makes it unsuitable for anyone but the most casual scenery designer. Of course I say this as someone who has already invested many hours learning, and frequently cursing at, Gmax. It will be interesting to see what people will actually manage to do with Instant Object Maker.Sidney Schwartz KPDX

I've just bought it 5 hours ago, I can't still make a simple hangar. The software needs to be simplified when placing different polygones together. Rotation and so on is completely out of control. Perhaps the manual doesn't go far enough. At one stage its says" add the polygone" . How do you do that? I am going to have another go tomorrow, but surely shouldn't take that long to get a grasp of what appears a simple software.

I've just bought it 5 hours ago, I can't still make a simple hangar. The software needs to be simplified when placing different polygones together. Rotation and so on is completely out of control. Perhaps the manual doesn't go far enough. At one stage its says" add the polygone" . How do you do that? I am going to have another go tomorrow, but surely shouldn't take that long to get a grasp of what appears a simple software.
There is a support forum for Instant Object Maker here:http://www.flightsimtools.com/forum/I tried the program a year or so ago and found it just did not do what I wanted so got my money back with no questions asked.Depending upon what it is that you are trying to do, you may find the free SketchUp program from Google more useful.This is a link to a great SketchUp tutorial which I found very helpful:http://www.calclassic.com/sketchup_tutorial.htmGood Luck!