Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Ground2k4 general ground texture question

I don't know what I have done is correct or not. With Ground2k4 I design custom ground texture by creating "New VTP2 polygons", defining "Other texture" and circling each area one by one, then generate BGL file.It looks not too bad in Sim.Questions are Resolution: FS9's maximum ground texture resolution is 4.8M/p, then how can I make high-res ground texture? I tried to use 512x512 and 1024x1024 bitmap in same area (source map high enough), but seemed no difference in Sim. What is "other technique"? Do I have to use GMax or something? Area: Tired about "one by one", cause the whole field is about 250sq.km, and there is a limitation of Ground2k4, 127 polys top. So I tried to circling 4 area once a time, and make the ground texture same size, but it repeats one entire texture in 4 areas in Sim. Looks I still don't understand the rules. Could someone help me with?Gap or seams or joints whatever: Are they permanent whit VTP2 polys in FS9? Someone use "overlap", how? I mean if there are "lines" in picture like ridge of field, should they broken at the edge when overlap? And someone said I can define a new landclass underlying and make it more close to the coustom texture color, but I don't understand why the grid move when I click "LC" button in Ground2k4(still the rules?), and if I don't think there are similar color in the list, how to use 252 and 253, there is no extra dialog box. Transparence: The edge tiles of my whole custom area. Cause they are all rectangle, so the picture may have something I don't want to show up in Sim.Is that possible to make the picture partly transparent?I did alpha channel but it shows white with VTP2 polys.Thanks very muchBilly

Hello Billy,I believe that the maximum resolution will always be 4.8 meters when using such techniques. Instead of VTP2 in Ground2K4, you can try SBuilder's "Text." option - I believe this will allow higher resolution.The Area functions are in large part experimental, not everything works correctly. Perhaps the FS developers had not completely finished that aspect.The gaps are common, I don't remember if there was any solution, although there has been much discussion about them. You can search this forum for all the threads if you wish.The land class grid moves because it is not the same as the normal grid. Land class is assigned to the vertices of the Areas, therefore the land class grid shifts to emphasize this.I don't know if you can use transparencies with those VTP2 textures, but you should be able to do so with the SBuilder Texture option.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Luis. You have no ideal how many times and ways I try to use SBuilder. I have checked all 36 pages of ptsim scenery design forum, http://www.ptsim.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=18 and found no solution. VB Lib, decimal, v2.02, v2.05 (no need further version obviously)...Maybe it IS the OS language problem. I saw one post with screenshoot which OS is my language has the same situation, and there is no answer. always "run-time error '62' Input past end of file" when copy finished. I don't have the honor of seeing what it SBuilder looks like by now. :(

There used to be a program (help and program in French) called "texpoly.exe" that used the SCASM command texpoly to place high resolution ground textures. the main problem is the mesh needs to be the same slope as the ground poly (best is flat like airports). An alternative is to create textured ground polys in GMAX. I think the FS2k2 gamepak is needed to tweak the result for use in FS9. FSDeveloper.com GMAX forum probably has more people actively involved in this kind of scenery work.scott s..