Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Generic Buildings at Airports

Often, the generic buildings placed at FSX airports are floating in the air. While the the buildings can be added, deleted and moved with ADE, elevations cannot be changed as with library objects. Is there any way to correct this?ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

I think this problem has been reported before and has something to do with FSX itself. Generic buildings are set at zero feet(m) AGL and (although I could be way off here) I don't think that FSX honors setting this differently. With Library objects you can set the altitude above or below ground and it gets honored. How far in the air are they? I recollect reports of one or two meters and it having something to do with the round earth model.

Yeah, 1-2 meters seems about correct. This picture is a typical example. I hate to put out airport files with this in them. It would be quite an advancement if someone figured out how to fix it.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190688.jpgAs always, thanks Jon for all you do.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor.

Art

Hi Art.You could try to place a tiny vector flatten around the object's ref-point, and that would lower the AGL at that point. Set the flatten to a lower elevation than the terrain by 1-2 meters.Dick

>Hi Art.>>You could try to place a tiny vector flatten around the>object's ref-point, and that would lower the AGL at that>point. Set the flatten to a lower elevation than the terrain>by 1-2 meters.>>DickThat will certainly work. Unfortunately there is no way I know of to automate this process since I don't understand the mechanism that causes it.

I have played around with Dick's method when I did my RKJB project. I found it very tricky to create a flatten that would both suck a generic building down and not show past the edges of the building. I found it less hassle to just put an apron under the building. It doesn't fix the problem but makes it less obvious.scott s..

I tried Dick's suggestion, and what Scott says is what I observed. The solution works in theory only. I don't understand how the apron helps. I guess I need more buildings in library objects to replace the generic buildings.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Aprons might help because they are flat and at the airport reference point. Do you observe any difference in general with buildings that are on an apron and those that are not?

The reason for the apron is simply when you can see grass, it's pretty obvious the building is floating (unless the building is supposed to be on grass of course). But what I have seen is that in many cases the buildings are set on the edge of aprons. When they float in this instance, you can see the grass (or whatever) that's beyond the apron when the building is floating. scott s..

There are a lot of floating buildings in FSX. It's only when you get close to them that it's visually a problem, such as at airports. And yeah, a floating building is less obvious out in the middle of an apron area.We need a utility that facilitates the adjustment of generic building weights so that we can stop this floating.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art