Sign in to follow this  
Max Kraus

Quick gmax question

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi I presume you want the middle section higher right? if so the simplest way would be to simply make another box convert it an editable form either poly or mesh. Next select the top poly and use the "slice Tool" to cut another poly from the top. Then simply select the new poly and extrude it to the hight you want. Once you get used to what is called "Box Modeling" I.E. adding detail by "growing" poly's only where you need them you will find that you will be able to create almost any object you want in short order.Dan Martin Flight Ontario.

Guest Dan G Martin

You are welcome. Do try playing around with the above technique as if done right will allow you to create clean meshes without having to "stick a bunch of boxes together" like many people do when creating simple meshes like buildings (even something like a terminal building really is a simple model) if you compare a building to something like a fully animated living animal or human. In my work as an animator I am allways blown away by what one can create from something like a cube or a sphere. If you start to think of modeling like working with clay you will be surprised at what you can create (think Shrek) A model like that is created by "growing" parts from a simple primitive adding detail only were needed.Dan Martin

This is true. Remember - polygons are your currency, but in reverse! Minimise them where possible. Like in real life building, always ask yourself if there's a cheaper way of doing it!

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU