Sign in to follow this  
JimD737

Texture Issues

All,I've started re-doing my McGuire AFB scenery. Before I convert the texture files, I can see the texture correctly in GMAX.I use either DXTbmp or Convim to convert the BMPs to Extended/DXT1 or FS70 DXT1 Bitmap. When I look in GMAX, the texture is gray so I know it was converted.But when I go into FS9, the hangars are all gray.Any thoughts? I've used DXTbmp exclusively for a year so I'm pretty confident tat I'm doing it correctly.My thanks,Jimhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191103.jpg

Guest Hugo

Nice job Jim. As for the textures you modified, do you use the same texture folder for Gmax and FS9. If not then you should copy the convert textures into your FS9 scenery texture folder. Could it be :)Hugo

Hi,You should indeed have two sets of textures. One extended version you use in FS (in the texture folder belonging to the scenery folder where you BGL files are). And another non-extended one you can use in GMax. It makes no sense to use the extended ones in GMax, as they can not be read there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks guys. Been away from the computer a while.In thoery what you guys say makes sense, but I've been doing it this way for all of my scenery. I am now confused.If I do not use the FS9 texture folder when assigning the bmp thru the Material Editor, how would the object know what folderbmp to use?Thanks.Jim

Hello Jim.A local scenery folder has 2 sub-directories:1. a scenery folder, where the bgls go;2. an optional texture folder.The object will always look first for its textures in the accompanying texture folder.If not found there, it will then check the main FS Texture folder.I suppose that we can also use a texture.cfg file in FSX, such as:{fltsim}fallback.1=..texturefallback.2=........SceneryGlobaltexturefallback.3=............SceneryGlobaltexturebut, I haven't used one of these yet, so somebody else will have to confirm.Best regards.Luis

Ahhh...Now it all makes sense. I must have missed that page in the GMAX Bible!All this time I've been doing extra work.I will try everyone's suggestions.Again, as always, thanks ALL!jim

For my workflow, I have a "textures" folder in my documents where I keep all 24 bit BMPs I make that Gmax can read (won't read DXT textures in my Gmax)Then after I finish with my object I just load up the 24 bit texture in DXTBmp, flip and convert to DDS5 and save to the texture folder of my scenery or any other activated texture folder.By doing this I have an original quality texture to modify should I need to make any changes.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi,So the MDL files does not contain any folder information, only the texture name. The default search path as Luis indicated is then used to find that texture.As the previous poster says, I keep one set of development files. I prefer to keep them in PSD format so I can use layers, etc in them. These can be read by GMax. And then I use ImageTool to convert them into the extended files that FS needs. These go in the texture folder of my project in FS.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Finally!I think I made EVERY GMAX rookie mistake this weekend.The Textures were in thee right place, the BGLs were not! Ugh.Not only were they not in the right spot but I had duplicates! Ugh.I'm all cleaned up now. They aren't pretty but they are good enough for me. I think I'll start a company called "Caveman Textures", because, no offense, it's so easy...........Best Regards to all!Jim