Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulV

Terrabuilder Scenery not displaying in FS9

Guest PaulV

Hi all, I am new at scenery design. Having read a lot of previous posts, as well as Terrabuilder Tutorial, here is what I did:1) Satellite picture resized in multiples of 256 horizontally and vertically.2) Colours reduced to 256. Image then saved as an 8-bit bitmap.3) With the Terrabuilder Wizard, opened the bitmap, assigned coordinates, and appropriate scenery tiles were added.4) No joy.5) Verified additional tools for Terrabuilder.6) Looked at File Properties for other scenery, and noticed 32 bit textures. Used FS2000 ImageTool to transform 8 bit textures to DTX1 format. Still no joy.7) The tutorial states to not add the scenery to scenery.cfg from within Terrabuilder, but from FS9. Unable to use FS9 to do that, but a manual addition was used in the end.8) Scenery layer verified as highest, and Active=TRUE.9) Tried another, totally separate area, with same non-result. Would appreciate some guidance.Best regardsPaul

How large an area does your image cover? FS2004 uses a fixed resolution of 4.8 metres per pixel.From my recollection of Terrabuilder, I always used a 24 bit BMP to start with. Terrabuilder would also do the DXT1 conversion for me, but I think you need to install some additional tools for that.Why can't you use FS2004 to add the scenery to the library? What do you end up with in your Scenery folder? Texture folder?Godzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Guest PaulV

Hi toprob1) Original picture covers 18nm x 12nm, at a resolution of 1.2m per pixel (Next time I will zoom out more!). Terrabuilder did complain about multiples of 256 for sizing, and then about more than 256 colours. Thus the move to 8-bit .bmp.2) The reason I can't use FS9 to add the scenery is also the answer to your last question, there is no .bgl file to point FS how to display the tiles. And this is still leaving me in the dark.The wizard wants a .inf file, which I have no idea how to generate. Finally, in desperation, I tried out Photo Scenery Maker, which generated the .bgl file as well as the texture tiles, and worked off the original 24 bit .bmp.But, I have learnt a lot the last week, and am looking forward to enhancing my own flying experience, and later contributing to my favourite community (Avsim, in case that was unclear) :)Thanks again for your post. It has helped a lot.RegardsPaul