Sign in to follow this  
Odaat

Create some houses

Hi folks, firstly hello to everyone here as I've not posted before :) I'm wondering if someone can tell me in simple terms, how I would go about creating some very simple house objects, using my own textures, and place them in FS? I'm very confused by this whole compiling thing - but my common sense tells me the best way would be to create some library objects using something like GMAX, and then place them in FS using EZ Scenery Creator or something like that. If someone could let me know if I'm along the right lines, and which tools are the best to use to do the job, I'd be extremely grateful!Cheers all,Tim F

Hi Tim, that is pretty much how it can be done. You install Gmax, then the SDKs. You then create the texture(s) and save in normal 24 bit format so that Gmax can read them. load up gmax, create your building, texture it, then assign a guid for it (if for FSX) and export as an MDL.Then create a library with your various MDLs and place it in an active scenery folder so it can be read with one of the scenery tools and you should be able to place your building in FS. You'll need to load up your texture in imagetool or DXTBmp and create a DDS version of it for the sim.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

You've described how I create log cabins to use in Alaska. I've also had fun creating bump, specular, and night textures. The bump (normal) maps really bring out the nail heads and grooves in the corrugated roof, and the specular texture makes it shine like metal.There is a well-written tutorial from MS in the SDK for building and texturing a house. Godzone also created some wonderful tutorials that I use.