Sign in to follow this  
burle1

Runway renumbering

Guest Outer Marker

As you may no doubt be aware, the runway designations at Dulles (for example) have now changed. Runway 1L/19R is now 1C/19C. I have updated my AFCAD file so ATIS, AI, and ATC are all on the same page, but I was wondering how to modify the .bgl file to address runway selection options in the "Create a Flight" menu of FS2004. When creating a flight, you can choose a starting point: The Active Runway, 1L, or 1R etc. The drop-down choice box is not updated via AFCAD. I believe this is only possible via the internal coding of the .bgl scenery files. Could anyone suggest a utility or method that would help me achieve this?Thanks!-- Outer Marker

Not sure if this will work...Take a copy of your modified AFCAD file and place it in the SceneryBaseScenery folder. Restart FS9 and see if it shows the runway changes.

Guest Outer Marker

Hi there,Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, and unfortunately there is no change. I used the JABBgl tool to find that the airport properties for Washington Dulles in this example are in a file called AP927180.BGL localted in Flight Simulator 9SceneryNameSceneryThe trouble is, this BGL file includes airport data for about a hundred other airports as well. So the question becomes, how does on edit this airport information without changing the other airport data. Is there a tool?Thanks for any advice,-- Outer Marker

The Create a Flight menu lists the runway start positions.Are you sure that you updated these in AFCAD?Another possibility is that the Addon Scenery area is not active. Check the Scenery Library to make sure that the "Active" box is checked.Todd

Guest Outer Marker

Oh yes! How completely stupid of me! In the AFCAD file I had the runway labels correct, but forgot to update the name of the starting points. I can't believe my noob oversight. I'm an FDE developer, taking a first stab at scenery design/modification.Many thanks for your suggestion.I imagine to avoid any confusion I should update the navaid section of the AFCAD file as well, right? The 1C ILS should be identified as such, not the 1L ILS, although the frequency remains the same.-- Outer Marker.

Yes, using KIAD as an example, the old 1L and 19R ILS feathers should be relabled 1C and 19C.Just be aware there are some issues.First, AFCAD tends to get easily confused. It may try to associate your new 1L/19R ILS systems with the old 1L/19R runway.More importantly, altering runway designations will disable any instrument approaches at the airport. You will still be able to intercept and fly the ILS, but you won't receive the approach from ATC. The AI aircraft will receive visual approaches only.There is no quick and easy fix for this. You might try searching the file libraries for a utility called ILS and GPS Approach Creator. The author is Martin Gleeson.Let me know if you need more info.Todd