Sign in to follow this  

Gaia mesh ??

I understand mesh made from DEM data but what does Gaia stand for and how does this mesh differ?Baz

I hope someone responds....as that is a question I would like to know also.gwillmot

I've asked this question in three diferent forums but no one has replied. Either nobody knows or it's a big secret.Baz

Guest JR Morgan

Hi...I've done a www search using the words "Gaia Terrain Mesh" and about all I could find out is that there's an earth observation satellite with the acronym name of GAIA put up by a European consortium that assumedly is returning topographical data in a digital format (don't they all?) that's supposedly extremely "fine scaled". Apparently, one (maybe more) author seems to have an inside track on how to use the data for making FS usable terrain mesh but seems quite tight lipped on sharing an approach on how other FS enthusists can learn to use it. Pity, because the amount of detail vs file size is very attractive. The mesh scenery for FS I've seen is good but in some examples falls short of the MS default mesh, especially for roads following terrain. Maybe, when enough CD's have been sold, we'll be able to find out more about the file size saving technique...Regards; J.R.

There was at least one thread in the old forum where this was brought up:http://www.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID14/433.html#1There's really not enough technical detail there, and to me it just raises more questions than answers. THe claims about file size are the most controversial from a technical point of view.

Many thanks to both of you for the informative replies.Reading between the lines of that old thread leads me to beleive that the Gaia mesh is not as detailed as the USGS data but as this is not available for other countries it is a case of "any port in a storm". That is, unless someone knows different.RegardsBazP.S. J R, that "extremely fine scaled" could equate to "extremely expensively priced" ;-)

Advertised as a detailed mesh using a special formula that makes the files much smaller etc etc.I read a forum thread by a Swedish person who had bought the mesh and was not at all happy because his local area was all wrong.As soon as the new data is available, the UK/Europe meshes will spew forth. Some free, some for sale some for sale with added value.And all for a few minutes work running some terrain SDK files.

Hi Ihor>And all for a few minutes work running some terrain SDK >files.Yes, running the final resampling process may take a few minutes.But downloading the data, manipulating it in preparation, writing the INF files, debugging, testing all take considerably more time than "a few minutes . . ."Your statement is a bit like saying it only takes a few minutes to launch a ship. Sure it takes a few minutes, or less, to smash the champagne bottle on the bow. But keep in mind the time and labor invested in the dry dock from the keel up to get to that champagne moment . . .:-)Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.com

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I stand corrected!Flippancy, a trait my high school physics teacher seemed to always accuse me of.