Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Fs2002 mesh

Just a simple question ,er I mean questions.For land masses outside of the USA, does FS2002 utilize GTOPO30 elevation data for it's mesh ?Reason I ask is that I want to be able to touch up Calgary, Canada, not happy with the river valley depth that runs through the city. It is too deep and a little too continous. Is it even possible to fix the inherent mistake. Because the fact that GTOPO30 is the only readibly and free data set for the rest of the world, would it be any any different if created bv me vs. FS2002(assuming it uses GTOPO as well).What programs out there in any opinion offered by you guys would enable me to do this? FSTerrain, FSMesh ??? Ideally I would just like to be able to edit the exsisting mesh.Secondly, I hear that NASA will be releasing new DEMs of the world's surface in a higher resolution sometime this year. Does anyone know when this could be ?Thanks !Jamie EddieCALGARY CANADA

Guest Cazador

Dear Jaime:Yes, FS2002 uses the GSTOPO30 for the mesh terrain outside USA.If you want to make mesh terrain you must use high resolution DEM files.Look for free DEM in www.terrainmap.com.I think that for July will be available the SRTM DEM files...Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Hello,excuse me to drop in beeing a real newbie but I'm not sure that the FS2002 default mesh has the GOTOPO30 resolution all over the FS world. If I remember correctly, the FS Mesh documentation/tutorial states that GOTOPO30 has a better resolution compared to the default mesh. Nevertheless, with FS Mesh you easily can import GOTOPO30 data and "improve" them in the area of your choice by underlaying a topographical map (converted to a bitmap) and entering additional elevation data for example by tracing the river banks.SaintX

Hi jamtide.SaintX is right about the usefulness of FSMesh to alter the looks of a small area of mesh... might be worth looking into.Also, Globe Project] also has 1 Km data. These data sets can be "ordered" online( free ). You can specify the exact co-ordinates for the coverage area you desire, which has certain advantages over Gtopo30 data, which comes only in predefined chunks. The Globe Project uses similar sources of data as the Gtopo30 data, but seems to have had a bit more human "tweaking" than the Gtopo30, which may result in more accurate mesh.The downloaded data will have a header file, as well as a BIN file. The BIN file may be used immediately, as it can be defined to cleanly fit the LOD boundries of choice, and is already in the "S16LSB" format needed by the resample program.The data is rough (1 Km ), and as such, may not be suitable for mesh creation greater than LOD7. Even at LOD7, the altitudes and shapes may not be to your liking, due to the interpolation that the resample program uses for oversampling. I've used it for LOD7, and it looks nice ( and framerates are good ).One of my current projects is meshing the earth at LOD7 for CFS2. I've downloaded data with boundries that correspond to the LOD2 level... 22.5* latitude by 30* longitude. Very handy, quickly produces mesh, allows easy changes of LOD levels in mesh production, and looks good.The Globe data uses a null cell value of -500 for oceans... I used a hex editor to replace that value with 0 for the ocean level ( worked good ). I saved that altered data as "yourfilename[/i.RAW". That RAW file may be viewed with Paintshop, or any other program that imports RAW data. ( My data was 3600 cells by 2700 cells, so the import dimensions for paintshop were 7200 x 2700... 16 bit data.). I'm not sure if editing the data with Paintshop is a good idea, as the program seems designed for 8 bit data, but you could give it a try, and re-engineer river valleys as you like.