Sign in to follow this  

Mesh: Underlying FS Mesh Quadrants

Hi Steve,thank you again for your help. Meanwhile I produced a mesh of another favorite of mine: the area around Moab/UT and Canyonlands NP. With a single 250K dem file it takes less than 10 minutes from the raw dem to a view out of the aircraft in FS2002, and I'm really impressed by the quality of the mesh - steep cliffs on both sides of the Colorado River!Meanwhile I got my NED link also, so I'll dive once more into 24K mesh generation.Yours, Chris

Hi Steve,you may have a look at the Moab screenshots I posted in the screenshot forum. I love this landscape, both in 'real' reality and virtual 'reality'.So far, I wasn't successful with the 24k dems. Although I produced a bgl of appropriate size, the created scenery didn't show up in FS2002. I did a test run with my old FS2000 installation and there it worked. Strange.Yours, Chris

Guest sgreenwood

Very nice screenshots Chris. Your appreciation of the landscape is evident; it is beautiful country.And a nice reward for your effort.The higher resolution mesh really adds a great deal to the sim experience, and beyond. I find I pay much more attention to the shape of the land while driving in the countryside nearby. I also watch the background settings in movies more carefully, especially areas I am unfamiliar with. When I compare them with what I see in the sim, I have to admit, Microsoft has done a pretty good job. A recent Gallup poll ranked us Americans at the bottom in the subject of geography. Perhaps we should all spend more time "flying".I had a similar experience with the 24k mesh and FS2000. It seemed to be more forgiving, although that only meant I saw more of the problems I was having. But at least there was some feedback. As I recall, my problem with moving to FS2002 was trying to work with areas too small to cover an LOD grid. But it looks like you're hooked now. I'm sure you will figure it out.Steve

Saintx,Glad to see you have a good Mesh of Southern, Utah. I did all those areas using 30-meter NED Data, it really looks very good. I will post some shots of my Zion, Hurricane Area in the Screenshots forum.I was wondering if you ever got a good mesh going on Kennicott mine in the Bingham Canyon Area ??Great shots of Canyonland !!Cheers Jackknife............