Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark Hazeldine

Mesh for Switzerland

Guest Mark Hazeldine

I am English myself but am designing airports in Switzerland and have been there about 4 times myself. I am looking for the most detailed AND accurate mesh for Switzerland. I don't care if it costs money or not, but everything i've found is not good enough. I use the areas around lucerne, bern and the Jungfrau to judge the accuracy by and all fall way short of the mark! I have tried Raimondo Tuburet's "old style" mesh, Gaia mesh (detailed yes, but too pointy!) and Josiah Haut's mesh and they are all OK, but not what i'm looking for. The closest i've seen is Thierry Pignot's mesh for Mt Blanc but that doesn't cover Switzerland. Does anyone know what resolution is used for Aerosoft's Swtzerland 3? The screenshots look good but it might be deceptive because it's photoreal.Cheers Mark.

Hi Mark,If you have enough $$$ you could buy the Switzerland DEM ( DHM25 )from www.swisstopo.ch and adapt it for FS2002. Another source is here:http://www.tydac.ch/download/dhm_swiss.zip This is a 250m DEM for free, but warning , it uses a special swiss projection originated on Bern which does not correlates with lat,long coordinates from WGS84 used in FS2002. if you need additional infos, please don't hesitate to contact me via E-mail.Switzerland 3 has a resolution of 200m, the new Swissvfr http://www.swissvfr.ch will be available in september and has 200m / 100m resolution. Wait and See regards, Schampi

Guest Mark Hazeldine

Thanks for the advice guys!

Guest christian

Hi Schampi,I downloaded the 250m DTM and it looks good (opened it with Photoshop). I have ArcGIS, so I can reproject, but I have a few difficulties so far.Firstly, do you know what the format is? I can't import into ArcGIS.Secondly, do you know what projection is used?Cheers, Christian

Guest Mark Hazeldine

Does this mean your thinking of producing a mesh? Do you think it will look more realistic than what we've already got? I think Raimondo's stuff is supposed to be 30m (but it doesn't look it i have to say!).There's a mountain next to the village Stansstad, in between Pilatus and Burgenstock (on lake Lucerne) that in real life would make approaches to LSMU and LSMA VERY interesting, but none of the meshes out there render it at all. Christian, might this be to do with the lake flatten area? Have look yourself. Take off from LSME in a south easterly direction keeping the big mountain just to your right (pilatus) and you'll see a flat peninsular in the lake. There should be a 200m high cliff face here!

Hi Christian , Mark,the format of the file is quite simple ;)1404 cols, 892 rows beginning at offset 102416 bits unsigned scaled to minimun/maximum altitude of the modeli.e : 0 = nullvalue ( outside the swiss boundaries ) 1 = 193 m MSL 65535 = 4530 m MSLanother 1404*892*1 byte table follows in the file. Until now, unable to decode. The projection is CH1903, meaning cylindrical projection centeredon Bern ( x= 600'000 , y= 200'000 ) coordinates are in meters.the boudaries of the model are described in the .tab provided in the zip archive.more info about ch1903 at www.swisstopo.ch in german or french. Approximation formulas for converting from ch1903 into WGS84 are also available there.Good luck, Cheers, Schampi

Guest christian

Thanks, I'll have a look. Bummer about those zero values, they really have to be filled in using GTOPO30 or so. Also, I'll have to reconvert to FLOAT32 otherwise ArcGIS won't import the mesh. It's quite likely that the CH1903 projection is in ArcGIS and if not there'll be a projection file floating around somewhere.Yes, I'll do the mesh, if I can reproject it and find a quick and dirty solution for the 0 values. Otherwise, I may need help...Cheers, Christian

Guest Mark Hazeldine

This is sounding promising.Christian, did you try out what i suggested? Do you see what i mean now? Is it the flatten command or bad mesh? Also, do you think your mesh could be better than what is already there?This "game" gets beeter every day!, Mark

Guest christian

Mark,I can't really answer your questions. I don't have the time at the moment to do any tests, nor have I tried any of the custom swiss meshes. This will be a quick project for me, as I'd rather concentrate on downunder.Cheers, Christian

Guest Mark Hazeldine

OK thanks anyway. If it means more new developments with regards to the new code and those pesky roads and rivers then don't let me stop you!