Sign in to follow this  

Mesh slider

Hi.Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but I suppose this is where you find reliable knowledge about FS2002 mesh scenery.What is the actual effect of moving the mesh detail slider in FS2002? I know that when you move it left you get "poorer" mesh and better frame rates, but I would like a more detailed explanation. Some say that the parameter only influences the distance to which mesh is rendered in full resolution, others that it influences the entire visual area.On more thing: I use a mesh that's made from 3.75 arc second data and claimed to be LOD10. My understanding is that this can only be achieved through something called oversampling. Does this mean that my computer is struggling with rendering elevation points that add no real quality to the landscape? And does it mean that I might as well move mentioned slider a notch or two to the left and get a better FPS?

HI Henrik,>Hi. >>Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but I suppose this is >where you find reliable knowledge about FS2002 mesh scenery. >>What is the actual effect of moving the mesh detail slider >in FS2002? I know that when you move it left you get >"poorer" mesh and better frame rates, but I would like a >more detailed explanation. Some say that the parameter only >influences the distance to which mesh is rendered in full >resolution, others that it influences the entire visual >area. >According to my understanding, the Terrain Detail slider effect the radius at which the prevailing LOD is displayed. 100 would be about 40 km. Moving it to the left reduces the radius. Due to geometry, moving it even slightly to the left will result in a significant performance boost, while degrading the visual display very little. I usually recommend a setting of about 96.>On more thing: I use a mesh that's made from 3.75 arc second >data and claimed to be LOD10. My understanding is that this >can only be achieved through something called oversampling. >Does this mean that my computer is struggling with rendering >elevation points that add no real quality to the landscape? >And does it mean that I might as well move mentioned slider >a notch or two to the left and get a better FPS? Yes, that's generally what it means. It's sort of a garbage in/garbage out type of thing. The end result is only as good as the source data it was made from.Regarding the slider, i always recommend moving the slider a notch or two to the left in any case (about 96), whatever the quality of the mesh. The only difference between 96 and 100 is that the prevailing LOD will only display for 38 km around your plane instead of 40, more or less.Hope this helpsJustinhttp://www.fsgenesis.com

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Justin,Thanks :-)I had noticed that small changes in the high end could impact frame rates considerably, but I wasn't sure of the mechanics involved.