Sign in to follow this  

Coastline from DEM?

Hi everyone,I'm new at scenery design, but I have successfully converted some 10m DEM files for a small Pacific Island (Yap)into a .bgl for fs2002.My terrain looks great, but the coastline is still the low resolution version from MS. How do I go about using the coastline that is defined in my DEM? (i.e., defined by the boundary of 0.0m elevation and non zero elevations) Is there an easy way to do this?If not, I just need some direction in how to get started with defining the coastline. The fs2002 sdk has great docs for importing DEM data, but the vector data doc is not as easy to follow. I have been involved in real world mapping of various features on this island, and have data in several different formats. (lots of Arcview shapefiles)By the way, does anyone have experience in migrating Arcview data into MSFS?

Hi,There is a new program called CoastLineMaker created by Iain Murray, I am workin on a group of Islands of my country and with this program is very easy to do the job of have the coasts rigt, I am using also arcview files but I have to export as bmps or jpgs bitmaps and use them as background bitmaps on the program, because arcview gives the exact lat,long coordinates of the corners of the bitmap exported is easy to locate the island exactly.Hope this help you with your question

Thanks Miguel.I posted that question several months ago, and have since discovered CoastLineMaker myself. My coastline is looking better all the time.Now I just need to find more time to work on it!andy