Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Creating vehicles with multiple LODs / Destroyed states

Guest LeoL

Is this possible to do in GMax or do I require an external utility to setup the model LODs and the destroyed state of the model?I'm new to GMax and creating scenery files in general so any info on where to look would be appreciated.Thanks.-Leo

I'm not sure I understand your question but GMAX is best used to design 3d objects, such as, aircraft and buildings. Making ground polygons, such as runways, road, taxiways, is better accomplished using other scenery design tools like Airport for Windows, FSSC, etc.After reading your subject again, I am thinking you are talking about the different LODs for 3d objects as you near them or fly away from them. Is this what you are asking?

Guest LeoL

Sorry, I should have been more specific.Yes, I am building scenery objects that I would like to use in CFS and MSFS. Specifically vehicles (tanks, armored vehicles, etc.) and static aircraft. I have the models is 3ds format which I've imported into GMax, but that's where my knowledge ends as to where to go from here.I have 3 versions of each model with decreasing levels of detail (LOD) and a destroyed or damaged version for each. So yes, like you described...as you get nearer or farther away, the model will have more or less detail.So my first question is where do I set up these LOD's for MSFS to recognize and use? Where / how do I specify the destroyed object to use when....well, I blow it up in CFS?Is this done in GMax or using some other conversion utility?I'm looking for tut or a guide on this stuff. I'm fuzzy on how the whole thing comes together. I hope I was a bit clearer.-L

MakeMDL (the GMax exporter) has options to add LOD models. I have never used them (yet), but I think you need a util to catch the x files while exporting and then you should be able to add the LOD models.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest LeoL

I installed GMAX that came with MSFS. I assumed it was all I needed.I have my models in 'X' format which I import into GMAX without any problems. I haven't seen a MakeMDL option anywhere in it. Come to think of it, perhaps in the export options. I'll take a look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is one of the tabs of the export module. I think the origional version that came with FS should work, but I would advise you to update to the latest version (found in the MakeMDL SDK).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

You also might update to the latest version of GMAX 1.2. It is available from www.discreet.com /products/GMAX.