Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Basic (full load) Mesh for USA, Canada

Guest RSmith

Feel like I'm posting to the "Professor's Lounge", and I'm still a junior level undergraduate........ !!Just about to take delivery of a new system finally capable of handling a full compliment of Mesh elevation data. I'm not a tweaker, so, I'd like to acquire a full package of "good" - to "better than good" Mesh to add to FS. I've considered the FS Genesis bundle, w/ Alaska, but after reading mauy posts in here, last few weeks, not sure what the consensus is for us "plug & play" simmers - who do not intend to patch voids in data, or revise to sub-30, or sub-15 mesh standards. I "Like" terrain features - especially mt. peaks & good terrain definition. But I trully want a good / better than good / "insert the disk" and fly package..... !So, guess this is a rather "commercial" opinion poll, but would really appreacite a few short comments on packages of Mesh you most reccomend, at this time....... Doesn't look like FS9 is going to significantly change the "mesh" database - so I am expecting to use my selected (acquired) mesh in the next version, as well.....Thanks for any "undergrad." advice !Ron

HI Ron,Since no one else has stepped up to the plate here, I'll risk an unintended advertisement in response . . .For true 38.2m terrain mesh, you have two commercial options.http://www.fs-traveler.comandhttp://www.fsgenesis.netFs-traveler's option comes on six CDs and has manual installation.FSGenesis option comes on five CDs and installs automatically.The two are comparably-priced, with FSGenesis slightly less-expensive with the bundle discount.Canada 76.4m SRTM Terrain CD will be coming early to mid-April. I started shipping Mexico & Caribbean 76.4m Terrain CD STRM today.Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.net

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest RSmith

Thanks Justin !Well, guess you "discovered" I had yet to load up on Mesh, huh ! LOL ! Thanks for answering......As you likely figured (from our previous conversation), I decided to wait on my new system, before trying the scenery. Although able to keep 18-24 fps on my `ol P3 800, 32meg GeF2GTS, performance of the system would decline drastically as I approached my favorite airfields in the NW USA, and Canada. Just decided to wait until I could handle the load of mesh I want to install ! New system (per UPS tracking) is 1-day away...... Next goal is to install the terrain data for my flight areas....Justin, with the other posts regarding FSCOF, have you had any word on any changes to MS's default data for elevation detail ? Other improvements in the new version sound fantastic - especially cloud rendering & ATC enhancements. Was wondering if you had any "heads up" on any terrain data improvements ?Thanks for you post !RonKORL

HI Ron,To the best of my knowledge the terrain engine will not change significantly. From past version-change experience, MS generally will not remove functionality, only add functionality, thus preserving backwards-compatibility with further enhancements.As far as terrain is concerned, then, if it works in FS2002, it'll work in F2004.JustinFSGBTW, there are several free downloads you can try out for performance evaluation on your present system. Just click the Producst tab, Terrain, 38.2m. On the right you'll see "Mesh Central" links to download.

Justin - Toposim

Hi Justin:I haven't had a chance yet to examine your "old" (USGS) and new (SRTM) mesh products. Out of curiosity: how do you deal with the issue of raised or sunken lakes in mountainous terrain, such as the problems I had with my British Columbia meshes? Do you employ 5 full-time staff to set up flatten switches ;-)Cheers, Holger

Hi Justin:I haven't had a chance yet to examine your "old" (USGS) and new (SRTM) mesh products. Out of curiosity: how do you deal with the issue of raised or sunken lakes in mountainous terrain, such as the problems I had with my British Columbia meshes? Do you employ 5 full-time staff to set up flatten switches ;-) or have you found a more elegant solution?Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,Haven't dealt much with them at all. They seem to be very few and far-between in the areas I've worked in.I do have an in-house lake utility in alpha right now by one of my associates, but it's not quite ready for prime time.As far as employing an in-house staff--there are three: me, myself, and I. And we all seem to work 18-hour days.:-)JustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

Hi Justin:thanks for the feedback - and I'll try to keep my post to one copy this time around ;-)There are a number of pretty nasty mesa lakes in BC and Alberta, not to mention the issues with misplacements of the default lakes, rivers, and shorelines relative to the (accurate) position of the mesh tiles. So, good luck to all three of you for getting the SRTM data in good shape and also with your "lake utility"!Cheers, Holger