Sign in to follow this  
Guest fame

Editing existing scenery

I have just downloaded a scenery package, and although beautiful to look at, it knocks my frames. I am mostly interested in doing IF and bad weather flying, so certain of the items in that scenery (i.e. complex buildings and textures) do not interest me all that much. I wondered if it would be possible to delete some of the non essential buildings etc on the peripherals of this scenery (typically buildings which are outside the actual airport area itself) If so, can anybody advise me on the steps necessary to achieve this, and the best software to do this with. Essentially I only want to delete buildings, nothing else, as I like the runway and taxyway placements and appearance as well as the navaids which form part of this scenery package

Hi Sunstream.You don't need to edit the scenery.In the sim, Options menu, Settings sub-menu, Display:Slide Autogen Density to the left ( all the way turns it off ).Slide Terrain Mesh Complexity to about halfway.Slide Scenery Complexity to Sparse. ( This controls the actual objects if the designer has been using this control ).Also, Options menu, Settings sub-menu, ATC:Slide Traffic Percent to zero if you're not using it.Your FPS should improve.Dick

ThanksThis is not what I had in mind...I actually wondered whether one could actually remove certain buildings and structures, and leave others. The scenery I have is over populated with stuff beyond the airport border...some scattered buildings representing land marks in the city nearby. The airport itself can also do with the removal of some non essential buildings and features. I must say I will try your suggestion (I haven't done it yet) but I wonder if this doesn't indiscriminately remove all buildings, etc.I remmber that one could actually import the relevant scenery into a scenery design program and then designate areas which can be "flattned" Thinking back, I have a sneaky suspicion that this method removes all buildings which means that I will have to make new ones and position them. If this is what it takes, I might consider this option. At least then I have control of which buildings are to be there and which ones not!

Guest Musashi

Hello,This reminds me my problem for which I have not yet found a solution.I installed a scenery but all scenery is appearing in a wrong location.For example when I bring my plane to the runway, it appears on the grass and the runway is on the left (may be 50-70 metres), when I go to gate, the same result as well.How can I find the coordinates coming in the new scenery and how can I move where they should belong.I am a newby to scenary design issues and AFCAD please give me step by step instructions.Best regardsMusashi

Guest Tony_A

Scenery design Programs like Airport For windows / FSSC have a flatten command that "flattens" an area to the same height but wont remove any objects in that area. You would need to use the Exclude command to exclude the type of objects. I use a program called Remove (search for "remove10.zip" written by Torsten Wille) which will search through .bgl files for any objects using the texture file/files you nominate then write a new .bgl without these objects. You will have to scan the .bmp and other textures associated with the scenery and work out which textures are used in the objects you want to remove. Hope this helps..........Tony

Guest Tony_A

Hi Musashi, I would check out if the scenery replaces a default MS2002 airport or is creating a new airport.First, go to the scenery library and disable the scenery ( Just click on the cross in front of the entry, it should disappear (the cross - not the scenery)- then exit scenery library)You should now be back to the default MS2002 scenery - Check to see if the Airport is there and if " Goto airport" puts your aircraft onto the runway.If the Airport is there then the scenry you have downloaded is an update and the designer of the scenery has moved the runways etc. The designer should have included an AFD .bgl file or an AFCAD file. Check your download "readme" file to see that you have placed everything in the correct places and if there is an AFCAD file you will have to run AFCAD and import this.If you don't work it out from this you should email the scenery designer who,I'm sure will help you sort it out. Hope this helps........Tony Then

Guest fame

Hi Sunstream:Take a look at the following:BGL Toolkit - A freeware utility to quickly view the "Table of Contents" of FlightSimulator scenery files (.BGLs) then resolve scenery conflicts/duplications by creating appropriate "Exclude" files from the information displayed. This utility is primarily designed for users, who have a number of conflicting scenery files and who wish to quickly create "Exclude" files in a Windows environment - which will disable parts of scenery areas which are lower in the FS loading hierarchy.I hope this helps... visit the URL below (see sig), for additional ideas and suggestions.Good luckTom G, Sr.