Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

Can I use MicroDem and DEM files with FS2002?

Guest Jim Strenk

I've got MicroDEM and DEM files downloaded for parts of Illinois.Is there a way to use those files to better describe topology in areas that I have DEM files for?If not DEMs, what file format am I looking to download for inclusion into FS2002?What procedures must be taken into account to transform downloaded "topology" files for use with FS2002?Thank you in advance for your tips, suggestions and errata! :-wave

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Jim,Sorry for the delay in responding. Perhaps I can help a bit.You can use Microdem and DEM data to improve your terrain. Microdem has some issues, especially with the USGS seamless NED data, so I need to know what type of dems you have. Where did you get them and what resolution are they?You may want to read some of the info I have on my website. It should help you understand mesh a bit better before you get started. And you will need the FS2002 developer's SDK. I have a link on the site.One great feature of the sim is the open architecture, which enables others to enhance and customize it. The many skills, interests, and values of the users is an important part of what makes this hobby so rewarding. The terrain here in southern New England is not spectacular, but I like it here. I learned to make mesh for FS2000 when it became apparent that no one else found the region interesting enough to do so for me. There is little sense creating any mesh for areas that are flat, regardless of the resolution. Fortunately, very little of the earth's surface is entirely flat. It is precisely these topographically challenged areas that benefit most from the highest resolution mesh available. The great mountain ranges will show up with almost any data, but good mesh makes the difference between flat (or nearly so) terrain and terrain that is very pleasant to explore. Jerimoth Hill (812 feet) is the highest point in Rhode Island. Mesh created from the recently released 10m data for the area makes flying there much more enjoyable.I have probably spent more sim time exploring the sand dunes of Provincetown (Cape Cod , MA - maximum elevation about 80 feet) than I have all the mountain ranges in the world.Illinois is not much more dramatic, and 30m mesh does little for Charles Mound (1235 feet) because it is just the highest point on some fairly level terrain. But I checked out some 10m mesh I have for the Shawnee National Forest area south of Carbondale, and the improvement is substantial. (I ended up spending the evening in the region!)So, If you like the terrain in Illinois, I encourage you to develop/acquire good mesh for the sim - you will enjoy that as well.Stevewww.fs-traveler.com