Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stormshadow

A section of mesh not showing up!

Guest Stormshadow

Hi all,Its Storm calling again!I have a problem with one of my mesh sectors I'm trying to modify - first of all, everything I'm doing seems perfect. The mesh is showing up in TMFviewer however when it comes to FS2002, only PART of the mesh props up.The catch here is that I'm modifying the coastline of the scenery and the new coastline (and hence area) is a tad larger than the default and a positioned slightly differently. I'm using coastline editor for this job. I tracked down the problem to the fact that FS2002 seems to 'raise' only the mesh which is land in the default scenery. If I've had to 'reclaim' land (due to the change in coastline) by setting a particular polygon as land in coastline editor, the mesh for that part is not visible and everything remains 0m. I wonder what can be done in this case - I'm at a loss!Cheers all,Storm

Guest Stormshadow

Forgot to tell you that I'm using an LOD11 in my .inf file. Could this be a problem? I wouldn't want to use LOD smaller than this as I'd have to reproduce a huge elevation image to satisfy the level of detail I'm after...Storm

Guest Stormshadow

I guess Dick answered this some time ago - the problem seems to be a bug in FS2002 and probably 04 aswell - dammit. I understand that the default water cannot be re-meshed even if you make the water polygon land...which means that around the coasts I'd have to use flattens!! which is kind of tedious - 've got a cliff 120m high and the contours are rather complex - rough ride in prospect me thinks!Storm

Hi Storm:yup, you've found the problem ;-) It's not really a bug, just the way MS decided to work the coastlines/flatten polys.However, there might be an easier solution than using flattens: have a look at this thread over at Justin's website: http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name...=viewtopic&t=18I haven't tried this method myself; maybe others who have might be able to provide more detail. Also the avsim Scenery Design forum seems to be a fav hang-out for coastline makers ;-) Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger.Justin suggests finding the default HYP BGL, decompiling it, finding the offending poly in the BGLC code, commenting it out, and recompiling it.The problem with all this, is that we could end up with dozens of sets of "default" BGLs that everyone has been altering. Bad solution. A typical HYP bgl can cover thousands of square miles, and thousands of LWM watermasks. Distributing software would make this a nightmare, with nearby sceneries overriding or interfering with other sceneries.Microsoft could have made the flattens able to be excluded, with the mesh then returning. They didn't do it because they don't rework their polys... only we do that. I do consider it a bug. I'm sure MS does not consider it a bug.I don't know if FS2004 allows flatten exclusion, but I would doubt it.The idea of remeshing with LWM flattens or Area16n SCASM code is to avoid a babel of "default" BGLs floating around the community, each having some lakes or coasts not flattened... or perhaps not even having water in different areas.Remeshing allows you to target old, leftover flattens and try to raise them. They can, in turn , be remeshed or flattend themselves, as needed. And they don't interfere with other scenery... when deactivated in the Scenery Library, all returns to the default.Hopefully in a future edition, the mesh will be done with great enough resolution, and LWM watermasks with great enough accuracy, so we don't need to have flattening properties with water... they'll just cling to the mesh like LWMpoly1's of CFS2. Or perhaps the MS design team will pity us and allow mesh to be restored with a simple exclusion command.Dick

Hi Dick:good points indeed. Unless there's a coordinated effort to use a base set of new linework and edited flatten areas and only improve on that one, Justin's suggestion will be difficult to implement. For my mesh designs, I have used a positional offset to improve the match with the FS linework and thus reduce the incidence of flat coastlines or super cliffs. Perhaps, coast line makers could employ the same trick, that is move their new coastlines to match the general position of the old ones rather than "insisting" on accurate geographic locations. I know that it won't help much with intricately shaped areas, small islands, etc., but maybe provide some improvement and thus reduce the need for lots of remeshing.BTW, could you point me to files that have used remeshing at a larger scale, i.e., more than just a few hundred meters along a lake or ocean? Just curious how this looks in FS. Cheers, Holger

Guest Stormshadow

Hey lads,Take your feet off the pedal, I'm trying to catch up!! :-walksmile. What's all this about decompiling the bgls etc? I've been to FS Genesis but couldn't get to grips with some explanations!! Decompile this, decompile that - err I've only got one BGL file for my mesh area and one for the coastlines and new land/water polygons, generated by coastline maker.Can some1 explain, in ENGLISH ( :-))) ), any solution to this problem/bug, apart from using flattens (I could do without that!) or re-positioning the coastlines - the default is way off reality, dimension and position wise!CheersStorm