Sign in to follow this  
Guest in_04

Merge BGL files together to one?

Guest in_04

Hi all,maybe it is a stupid question, but it is possible to merge several landclass BGL files to one?I downloaded some great Landclass files for Germany, but they are made out of hundreds of small BGL files. After I installed them in FS2004 and set the TERRAIN_MESH... settings to 22 the startup of every Germany flight took minutes (2 and sometimes 5 minutes). If I disable the Landclass files in FS2004 Scenery Library the startup is normal, so I guess the problem is the number of small files. So is there a trick to get the hundred small BGL files to one bigger one?I heard about a utility TMFMerge out of the FS2k2 SDK but couldn't find the proper FS2k2 SDK (so maybe someone can give me a link)ByeMarkus

Hi Markus:1. I don't think that the number of files makes a difference for loading times. Landclass files always take a long time to load. It would be interesting though to have a comparison of Frank's files: one large against the current bucket of plenty.2. As far as I know you'd have to decompile the .bgl files (BGLAnalyzer?), then merge them in a text editor, then recompile the merged file. Perhaps you could send an email to Frank and ask him to do it? That way you don't have to enter the "shady" world of messing with someone elses files ;-) Cheers, Holger

Hi all.There is no way we can currently decompile Landclass files. They can be loaded into TMFViewer and the values looked at.I'm not sure why they would take a long time to load, or if that would be just on your computer system, but it certainly is possible that it would take a long time, if each BGL forced a search for the textures.Perhaps if those files were placed in the same folder with the Worldlc.bgl, the search time would be cut, as only the main texture folder would be searched.Dick

Guest in_04

Thanks for the info,but I also use the Landclass files from FSGenesis which are for the whole US (much bigger country than Germany) and there the loading time is very fast. Also my computer is a P4 2400 MHz, 1 GByte DDR 400, with Raid Level 0 System (120 GByte) and Two 30 GByte harddisk.So I think the system is fast enough and has enough memory to load the Landclass files.Another thing I havent sayed clearly in my first post is that wit TERRAIN_MESH_MAX... set to 19 (default) the loading is much faster. After some examination of the Landclass files I found that they set a Big area in the header but include only a small portion of the area. The whole area is split over several files (20-50). I guess that there could be the problem?I will check the trick with moving them to the same place as the worldlc.bgl file is and report back.ByeMarkus