Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stormshadow

MESH TERRAIN FOR LAMPEDUSA

Guest AMC612

Hi all,I have created a scenery for LAMPEDUSA, a small island at the north of Tunisia and west of Malta. I would like to create a new mesh scenery for the island. In hands I got a map with coloured contours and also an image of the island taken from a cessna. I am new to mesh scenery and I would like some help on how I can start createing the mesh terrain or what software I need. www.globezone.net/lampedusascenery:-rotor:-rotor:-rotorBest RegardsMauro CaruanaMt-foc@ivao.orgSENIOR FLIGHT CAPTAIN

Guest AMC612

Hi there???Anyone with any idea??Mauro

Guest Stormshadow

Hi Mauro,I've been doing mesh for some weeks now and I still have queries (as you may have noted) so don't get discouraged first time round. The problem is that probably there is no elevation data which can be used directly for Lampedusa, Malta and the beautiful Islands dotting the central Med. So you'd have to do it manually by creating grey-scale maps of the terrain. Apart from the many posts I left in here and the excellent replies I've had from our scenery friends (and for that I'm extremely grateful), I suggest you start off by getting Grises50 and reading through FS2002 SDK terrain article. Grises50 converts your grey-scale image to .dem format.Keep us posted with your experiences as there is always something new to learn!Storm

Guest AMC612

Hi Storm,I have a map of lampedusa with the contoors. I scaned it and now did the contours in different colours. Than i changed it to gray scale but now im stuck.Mauro

Guest Stormshadow

Hi Mauro,1. Your contour image must be an 8-bit BMP grey image (256 shades of grey, 0 = black, 255 = white)2. Grey level 0 must be equal to the lowest elevation point in your map, so if the lowest point is the sea which is at 0m mean sea level:Grey Level 0 = 0m3. Then choose an elevation increment. So, for example, if your contours are at 5m separation: build the following table:Grey Level Elevation0 0m1 5m2 10m.. ..10 50m3. Get your contour image and paint every region with the corresponding grey level in accordance with the contour elevation. So if your maximum elevation is at 150m, and you're using a contour separation of 5m, the maximum grey level you'd use is 30.4. Save the bmp as .raw in Paint shop or any other graphics utility and run grises50 to covert it to .dem format.5. From then on it's a question of using FS2000/2 resample program. Bob suggests using FS2000 resample.exe. You have to create a .inf file which contains info about your DEM file.Storm