Sign in to follow this  
Guest mottoth

edit HP*.bgl files???

Hi everyone:Someone knows if is possible edit the default HP*.bgl from fs2004

Guest mottoth

BUMP.If someone has an answer I'm interested too...Yohann.

Hi Yohann.At this point, there is no way to unflatten lakes to their original mesh, or alter the default BGLS. Altering the defaults is a bad idea anyway, if you plan on distributing the scenery. Soon we'd have 200 sets of default BGLs!Unflattening the lakes can be attempted by remeshing the lakes with invisible LWM flattens or Area16n SCASM code. There are many posts relating to these methods. Basically you'd make small polys at elevations to blensd into your mesh elevations. The only problem is that if the mesh is changed, the polys will again be at the wrong elevation.Microsoft is well aware of the problem, but it is unknown if they have developed a fix for FS2004 in the new LWM code.We'll have to wait for the new Terrain SDK, or until someone completely cracks the new code structure ( most probably, Christian Stock ).Dick

Howdy,just as an add-on to Dick's perfect summary:if it would help in your case to alter the elevation of the lake(s) but you don't want to hand-trace it with Ground2K or other utilities, you can utilize the corresponding FS2002 HYP*.bgl file to extract the lake polygons, adjust the elevation, and recompile it as a separate file (that is, you don't alter the default files). There are a few obstacles, such as finding the corresponding file (the names have changed) and slight differences in the position of shorelines but it works very well, in particular for larger lakes. I just posted a preliminary fix for the Revelstoke area in the Bush Flying forum:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=16722&page=Gilles Gauthier and I are working on a tutorial for this method which should be available by next week.As for re-meshing, I'm really not convinced that that's the best approach. I share Dick's concerns about multiple versions of the default HP*/HYP* files but there's just no comparison (both visually and effort-wise) with setting the -9999 flag for mesh-clinging. However, until we know how to read the new LWM files it's a moot point.It's possible that there might be expanded options for re-meshing in FS9: it seems that the designers have implemented sloped surfaces for LWM polygons:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=14525&page=Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger.I think the best solution will be along the lines you and Gilles are working at:Make the water ALL mesh clinging, and resolve the water height with the mesh. This is exactly how CFS2 was developed. Invisible flattens could then be made for different mesh sets ( if needed ).If we get some info from MS, and a decompiler working for it, new sets of mesh-clinging water could be made for the whole world, and the default water files chucked in the trash.Of course we are still left with MS' default water shapes, which are not right. ;)The final solution will come when we get some sort of GIS2BGL tool which will automatically ( more or less ) translate GIS data into mesh-clinging water. Then the whole world can eventually be processed, and we can trash the defaults.==============Of course, all this is pointless if MS has included a means to truely exclude LWMs back to the mesh state. Then we'd be able to have addon LWM excludes, and then add our own water without having the old flattens retained.Dick

Guest mottoth

Thanks for everyone for your answers. I'm rather new at mesh design so here's what I understood:1. Currently default FS2004 LWM poly bgl can't be edited. We have to wait for an MS SDK or someone to crack to code.2. Editing default BGLs isn't a good idea 'coz it would possibly lead to dozens of versions of the same default file -> way too much confusing...3. For the moment the easiest way for me is to flatten the desired area. So I actually use the flatten tool by Steve Greenwood. That works well and it's not too time-consuming...4. "Make the water ALL mesh clinging, and resolve the water height with the mesh. This is exactly how CFS2 was developed. Invisible flattens could then be made for different mesh sets ( if needed )."That sounds good to me... "new sets of mesh-clinging water could be made for the whole world": I'm looking for that guys, this would help a lot for those rivers that have the elevation issue along tens or hundreds of miles... Mesh clinging seems to be the best to fix theses rivers...Thanks again, I'll stay tuned in this forum.Yohann.