Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Heading concern on Default 172, 182: Looking for Ideas

Normally the RMI is away from the engine and instruments to prevent it from being messed up by induction current. For example, a Seminole's RMI is in the empenage (sp??). Maybe Beech has a way of 'shielding' the RMI from electrical current.mw

http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gifHere is a shot from my plane:The rmi is the bottom left instrument. The needle on the top left indicates the slaving to the device in the wing ( remote magnetic compass)Here is a site that describes it:http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/RMI.htmTheir definition:The radio magnetic indicator (RMI) is both a bearing indicator and a heading indicator (see Radio Magnetic Indicator figure, below). The heading indicator uses "slaved gyro", i.e., the heading indicator is connected to a remotely located magnetic compass and is automatically "fed" directional signals. The heading indicator always shows the direction of the aircraft in relation to magnetic north.I believe you are refering to the remote magnetic compass -not the rmi-and yes that is located well from the cockpit-in my plane in the wing. The rmi is in the cockpit, however.

Hi Geof,I guess I am going to have to hack my 172 and 182 panel files. I thought for sure someone would be able to find a viable solution for this. Oh well, it was worth asking about. Maybe they will corrrectly IMPLEMENT THIS FEATURE in MSFS2004. (See, I didn't call it a bug..) :-lol :-lolOn another note, can you email me some panel pics from your real plane. I want to post some screens showing the realistic comparisons.Thanks,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest oyvindhansen

>*** Found it. :) Oddly enough, in the FlyII Manual. Has >nothing to do with how the thing is powered. But some >aircraft have another unit built-in (backup magnetic compass >in another part of the airplane, such as a wing tip) that's >used to periodically cross-check against the gyro and >provide corrections. I don't think it's so odd that you found it in the Fly! manual, which is a true gem for anyone interested in the workings of the different instruments. The chapter on radio navigation is also great, not to speak of the description of the operation of the different aircraft, written from a real world perspective. It's probably hard for beginning simmers, but a great read still.- Oyvind

Guest GalacticCowboy

Oh, I know. I mean, I found it odd that I just happened to remember that after having read it so long ago (nearly a year now, probably...) AND that I just happened to have the FlyII manual on a handy CD-ROM. And that the info is there for Fly but Microsoft is oddly silent on the issue despite the depth of the manuals for other items (Rod Machado's Ground School, for instance...).