Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

Position of Mesh folders in Scenery.cfg

Guest Marky Parky

Hi.Thanx for explanation and for confirmation of my oppinions about LOD. I know that transformation is a bit comlicated than simple throwing away or duplicating values, I used it as an extreme examples to show the problem.I learned something new about the distance treshold and that sounds interesting to me, thanx for the idea, I'll look closer to it too.Marky Parky

Guest sgreenwood

You're welcome."I learned something new about the distance treshold and that sounds interesting to me, thanx for the idea, I'll look closer to it too."This is an area we don't know too much about. In case you missed my recent post in the general discussion area, which includes an example of this phenomena, here is the link. mesh radiusOther tests suggest this radius may coincide with the radius of the highest resolution texture. It would be interesting to learn if they are controlled by the same settings. It may be that the "radius" is really a fixed number of LOD quads, and the radius is greater at lower LOD because the quads are larger.The data used in the link above is really bad, so it is difficult to demonstrate much more with it. I think I will create some artificial mesh for the island, with different elevations at different LODs. This may reveal more about the process.Good luck with your testing.Steve

... who contributed to this thread.My current system, such as it is, is to keep all my downloaded zipped mesh files in a folder/sub-folder structure with the names of areas covered and their respective authors. This, at least allows me to decide what to download/purchase. As yet I don't have a method to identify the LOD levels for each mesh file but, clearly, I'm going to have to do something soon before it all starts to get out of hand and confusion creeps in. As others have pointed out these measures were unnecessary in FS2002 but it now looks like a different approach is required in FS2004. Fortunately, apart from a few selected areas in the USA which have been placed in the 'Addon Mesh' folder and Lago's files covering Europe and the UK in the 'TMS_Collection' folder this has not been a major concern but will likely become so.Perhaps this is not the appropriate place to widen this issue but I am wondering whether the same principles that now appear to apply to the placement of mesh files also applies to LandClass files. As I indicated in my original post I have given certain LandClass files lower priority in my scenery.cfg file to avoid clashes with default photorealistic scenery. I'm not certain how much of the latter exists in Europe and the UK but my main concern was with the USA and FSGenesis US National LC Project and so currently I have 3 files placed in the LandClass AddonsScenery folder at Layer 3 in the scenery.cfg file, viz. Britainlc.bgl, Europelc.bgl, fsglc_us.bglHowever, LandClass addons that accompanied the "ScotflightScotland" scenery package have been placed, by their installer, at level 42 in the Scenery.cfg file, i.e. a much higher priority, and this only succeeds in confusing the issue for me :(Mike

HI Steve,>. . . constructed from 10m data, also at LOD10 (since higher LODs show no additional detail in FS2004)<(Scratching head) You sure about that, Steve? LOD12 shows up just fine in my FS2004. Here's a shot from the Grand Canyon showing the default, then LOD10 from 10m source, then LOD12 from the same 10m source. http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?se...e=slideshow.php-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest sgreenwood

Pretty sure, Justin.But I'll test it again. Someone else reported it first, and I confirmed his results. I tested it again later because it was such a change. Same results. (I'm using a TMVL value of 21, maybe that makes a difference.)I tried examining your images, but I don't think I got them all (the default and the 10m10 look the same - I know that's not correct). Slide shows are OK, but viewers might like the option of stepping through the images at their own pace. I'll let you know.Steve

HI Steve,You can. Just click "Untitled" up in the upper right. Then you'll see all three images in thumbnail. Click teh thumbnails to see the full images.The default and the LOD10 >do< look the same. They're both LOD10 in that area.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net